Unusual split shot

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
User avatar
Duckett
Crucian Carp
Posts: 966
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 2:42 pm
Location: Stratford E15

Re: Unusual split shot

Post by Duckett » Mon May 06, 2019 9:01 pm

After trying just about every brand of modern shot, I find that Anchor Double Cut are the easiest to position and remove. Not the rugby ball shaped ones though. I can’t explain why, and it may be my imagination, but the green coloured ones seem to be the softest.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

User avatar
Liphook
Arctic Char
Posts: 1761
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Re: Unusual split shot

Post by Liphook » Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 pm

I've looked long and hard at these unusual items - I wonder if they might be tips to arrows/bolts for knocking down small prey as people in other countries could legally do? They certainly look like they would sit at an odd angle on a line and possibly cause line twist. Outside bet maybe........?

User avatar
Tengisgol
Rainbow Trout
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:49 pm
Location: Essex Boy
Contact:

Re: Unusual split shot

Post by Tengisgol » Tue May 07, 2019 6:35 am

I’ve started to use brass rod that you can buy in B&Q, cut to various lengths and sharp edges smoothed with wet n dry. Held to the line with silicone tube. I’ve been meaning to post this on here with pictures for ages.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

User avatar
Wallys-Cast
Barbel
Posts: 4664
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:02 am
Location: Durham.

Re: Unusual split shot

Post by Wallys-Cast » Tue May 07, 2019 9:26 am

I think these leads could originally be a form of bifurcated rivet or maybe a crimp on anti tamper seal for gas meters etc.
I have had loads of lead weights that came in various tins or bags over the years and I doubt if any of them were really intended as fishing weights.

Wal.

User avatar
Dave Burr
Wild Carp
Posts: 9995
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:03 pm
Location: Not far from the Wye
Contact:

Re: Unusual split shot

Post by Dave Burr » Tue May 07, 2019 10:02 am

Tengisgol wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:35 am
I’ve started to use brass rod that you can buy in B&Q, cut to various lengths and sharp edges smoothed with wet n dry. Held to the line with silicone tube. I’ve been meaning to post this on here with pictures for ages.
Was this influenced by Mark Everard's nails Phil? It is a good idea to have a long, solid weight when trotting I suppose, never got around to trying it though.

What I do dislike about modern lead alternative weights is that anything below a BB is likely to ping off during the fight or should you hit weed etc. I get through loads of the little beggers during a day's trotting unless you hammer them to the line..... which will then break.

User avatar
Tengisgol
Rainbow Trout
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:49 pm
Location: Essex Boy
Contact:

Re: Unusual split shot

Post by Tengisgol » Thu May 09, 2019 7:15 am

Dave Burr wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:02 am
Tengisgol wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:35 am
I’ve started to use brass rod that you can buy in B&Q, cut to various lengths and sharp edges smoothed with wet n dry. Held to the line with silicone tube. I’ve been meaning to post this on here with pictures for ages.
Was this influenced by Mark Everard's nails Phil? It is a good idea to have a long, solid weight when trotting I suppose, never got around to trying it though.

What I do dislike about modern lead alternative weights is that anything below a BB is likely to ping off during the fight or should you hit weed etc. I get through loads of the little beggers during a day's trotting unless you hammer them to the line..... which will then break.
That’s exactly right Dave, I have long thought about Mark’s masonry nail approach but they’re a bugger to cut and then you still need to file the edges and paint them. You can see one in the picture below.

I was fed up when I saw the price of a pot of SSG in the tackle shop and that got me thinking. So I had a rummage in B&Q and came up with this idea. The brass rod won’t rust, is easy to cut and file and still quite cheap for a metre length. No reason why these can’t be used as weights in light link ledgers either although at the moment I have only used them for float fishing with weight down.

I did try steel rod first as you can see but (doh) that’s no good for obvious reasons. I expect the brass to fade as they age and did think about putting them in vinegar to dull them.

Image

Image
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

User avatar
Dave Burr
Wild Carp
Posts: 9995
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:03 pm
Location: Not far from the Wye
Contact:

Re: Unusual split shot

Post by Dave Burr » Thu May 09, 2019 9:12 am

Tengisgol wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:15 am
Dave Burr wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:02 am
Tengisgol wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:35 am
I’ve started to use brass rod that you can buy in B&Q, cut to various lengths and sharp edges smoothed with wet n dry. Held to the line with silicone tube. I’ve been meaning to post this on here with pictures for ages.
Was this influenced by Mark Everard's nails Phil? It is a good idea to have a long, solid weight when trotting I suppose, never got around to trying it though.

What I do dislike about modern lead alternative weights is that anything below a BB is likely to ping off during the fight or should you hit weed etc. I get through loads of the little beggers during a day's trotting unless you hammer them to the line..... which will then break.
That’s exactly right Dave, I have long thought about Mark’s masonry nail approach but they’re a bugger to cut and then you still need to file the edges and paint them. You can see one in the picture below.

I was fed up when I saw the price of a pot of SSG in the tackle shop and that got me thinking. So I had a rummage in B&Q and came up with this idea. The brass rod won’t rust, is easy to cut and file and still quite cheap for a metre length. No reason why these can’t be used as weights in light link ledgers either although at the moment I have only used them for float fishing with weight down.

I did try steel rod first as you can see but (doh) that’s no good for obvious reasons. I expect the brass to fade as they age and did think about putting them in vinegar to dull them.

Image

Image
That looks like a very good and cheap alternative to SSG that is currently trading at just below the price of Rhino horn. To colour stones when used for weights, I used tea. Would that work with brass? Any chemists please comment.

User avatar
Coral Maestro
Silver Bream
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:58 pm
Location: Correze, France

Re: Unusual split shot

Post by Coral Maestro » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:46 am

Nobby wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 pm
I recently bought a British 'shot and caps' cast carrier with four quill floats on that are probably French.

Image

Inside the storage chamber were these split shot. Remarkably they still open and close...and a darn sight easier than what we use today...even if they aren't as aerodynamic.....

Image


But no one I have asked has ever seen anything like them before...so, are they British or French, I wonder?
I saw some just like that at a Brocante in the Correze which suggests that they are French. I guess they wouldn't be legal in the UK as they're made of lead.
The dace is both lively and lean,
With a beautiful silvery sheen;
He'll snatch at your flies
With a lightning-like rise
And unless you are sharp, he's just been.
-Fishing Gazette

User avatar
Nobby
Wild Carp
Posts: 10240
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: S.W.Surrey
Contact:

Re: Unusual split shot

Post by Nobby » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:31 pm

Ah, nice to know....I thought the floats were French, so that makes sense.

Post Reply

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NorfolkTinca and 3 guests