Harcork

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Scott Thompson

Harcork

Post by Scott Thompson »

Does anyone have any good photos of Harcork floats, be even better if they were lying next to a ruler.

The only pictures i can find are of floats for sale on ebay and they are often not very good pictures, the reason i'm looking is i fancy having a go a making a few replicas for myself and just need some good pics with possible sizes to make a start from, can anyone help?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Harcork

Post by Mark »

Some lovely pictures there Hermes, I too would love to make some of these. :thumb: The third picture is my favourite.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

No ruler, but these are the real McCoy:

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh31 ... loats5.jpg

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Some lovely floats, I would love to be able to make some like that.

Hermes, I noticed these two floats in your photos, I have never seen anything like these before. What are they?
floats.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Of course, but they might not be 'mine', I do tend to lift images off the web with abandon. :oops:

I think those Harcorks are now the property of a pal of one of our number, the lucky devil!

The original post was asking for genuine Harcork images I think, I expect he wants to have a go at making some.....?

I've a couple of 'linked' porkies too.......I always wondered about them...drift-beaters you say? I imagined that they popped up and the tip section fell over to catch your eye, but I've never seen any in any catalogues at all.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Nobby wrote:Of course, but they might not be 'mine', I do tend to lift images off the web with abandon. :oops:

I think those Harcorks are now the property of a pal of one of our number, the lucky devil!

The original post was asking for genuine Harcork images I think, I expect he wants to have a go at making some.....?

I've a couple of 'linked' porkies too.......I always wondered about them...drift-beaters you say? I imagined that they popped up and the tip section fell over to catch your eye, but I've never seen any in any catalogues at all.
The only description of the hinged floats I've come across is in Walkers Pitch. The theory is that the main part is c0cked by shot and would, if not for the hinged extension piece, sink completely. The short section lies flat on the water, where waves can pass over it without pushing the whole float sideways. When you get a bite the hinged piece stands up before it goes under.

I've never tried one so cannot comment on its efficacy. I have used a hinged pole float (lollipop float) to hold back in rivers, and these work quite well.

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Nobby wrote:I've a couple of 'linked' porkies too.......I always wondered about them...drift-beaters you say? I imagined that they popped up and the tip section fell over to catch your eye, but I've never seen any in any catalogues at all.
Have a look in your Allcocks catalogues Nobby. There are two variants in the 1966 edition. One's a porky bottom with a hinged cork top. Its called the "Pendant" and came in two sizes. The other is the "Tru-bite" which has a body like an Avon float and a hinged top, also bodied like a mini-Avon. Both types are fished so that the top lays flat and then pops upright with a bite. Obviously not much good with lift bites. The blurb says they are "...very sensitive, the visible unit cocking full upright to a pull of two inches**. One size only carrying three BB shot."

** where have I heard that before?

Note: looks like GOS has beaten me to it but I'm going to post this anyway.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thanks GOS and Weyfarer!

Ah, yes those were mine Hermes.....just about the first floats I ever made. I sold them at Romsey last year after painting them partly.

Scott Thompson

Post by Scott Thompson »

Thank you all for that, some lovely pictures there, and its enough information for me to make a start on making a few.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”