Partridge Z1s

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
DontKnowMuch
Roach

Partridge Z1s

Post by DontKnowMuch »

or Jack Hilton carp hooks.

Anyone remember using these? I used them in the early 80s and although they weren't the sharpest hook out they were strong and the size 4s would accomodate a very sizeable piece of crust :sun:

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Partridge Z1s

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Perhaps with the new technology (cough cough) in hook sharpening, they could make a comeback??
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Post by DontKnowMuch »

Comeback? I've been using them successfully already.

They'd certainly perform at their peak with a little 'honing' though :wink:

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

I had loads of the Z1s which i was quite happy with until Partridge brought out Z1s with the Niflor finish. They were sharp straight out of the packet. I bought enough to last me a lifetime along
with the Trefor West Barbel hooks. These two patterns do me for all my fishing in sizes 4 to 10.

I bought up all the Z1s amazingly cheap from Stanobs of Harrow Road when they closed down. I've probably still got them somewhere.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Used to use them for my Carp fishing back then, also used to use a curve pattern for use with particles Z17 or Z18 I think. Then there was the 'piggyback' hook, long curved shank, a bit too aggresive though and was banned on a lot of waters along with bent hook rigs.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Are you sure you haven't got a Z1 or two still stuck on that hat of yours, JAA ?

:hahaha:

Flightliner

Post by Flightliner »

Just found this thread, I used the z1 hooks back in the eighties for much of my carp fishing.
I won a small contest run by Partridge and they sent me more hooks as a gift than I woud ever use in a lifetime of angling.
I gave them away by the handfull to my friends but still have many packets left.
If I ever take up carp fishing again I would'nt hesitate to use them. :thumb:

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

If anyone's interested, Judd's of Hillingdon have some, still at the old price.

Isis
Perch

Post by Isis »

Great hooks....strong and of a quality you could rely on. I think they were designed along the lines of the hooks we used in the early 1960s for carp. Partridge low water salmon fly hooks had their shanks shortened, ridges filed into the end, a couple of wraps of fine wire in the grooves and finished off with a solder blob.
Went to Redditch after an invitation by Alan Bramly and watched them being made. Wonderful old factory with creaking wooden floors. Alan 'apologised' for the old fashioned machinery being used. I said it doesn't matter..because it all works perfectly. Met Barry and Colin and the ladies whose names we recognised from the quality stamps on the hook packets. Great company. Sad such businesses disappear.

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

I recall these, I got two packs from chatsworth angling show, also some smaller hooks, I've still got the packets somewhere, they were great,
I had some size 8 I used for barbel two bits of corn! Perfect
Bring them back!

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”