Length of hook link when ledgering for carp.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Length of hook link when ledgering for carp.

Post by Tengisgol »

I had a laugh a few weeks ago when I saw a bog splash of an advert in the Anglers Mail for free running rigs for carp, as if it was a great new invention!

It tickled me a great deal!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

From what you say you are just doing a simple bit of legering just as you would if you were fishing for Roach or Chub, most often or not a simple small lead running up the mainline and stopped by a swivel and a bead to which your hook length will be tied too will do.

The length of your hook length could be quite critical and is worth playing around with, if the fish are in competition for the bait in your swim then I would say anything up to 18 inches you will get away with and should get good bite indication and confident takes, the only issue I have personally with that length is when playing the fish close to the bank and the lead out of the water it can almost start to spin and put weight on the hook hold which could result in a lost fish, the longer the hook length the more it will spin.

If you go short on the hook length then you will be creating a bolt rig style of fishing which is what most modern day bivvy boys & carp match anglers use now, hook length's of 3 or 4 inches are pretty good over the counter sellers today in any tackle shop for anglers who choose to fish the barbaric method feeder style of fishing.
Maybe a lot of people will say the rig is not barbaric but in my mind it is simply because of the short hook length not allowing the feeder to be above the fishes head when hooked.
When fishing such a method you can keep the rod tip under the water and almost take the fish for a walk by slowly winding in, the feeder will remain in front of the fishes nose and not cause too much stress on the fish, its only when the rod is lifted out of the water when you wish to net the fish that the feeder will start to bang against the fishes head and eyes causing plenty of stress to the hooked fish and increasing a fight with an all ready tired fish, there are ways over it if your clever enough to work it out.

Anyway sorry for rambling on but my advice would be to fish between 8 and 12 inches starting off at the longest length, if you feel your missing bites or the bait is being inspected but not taken confidently then go shorter until your happy with what you have, if the fish require a bit more length to gain confidence you have nothing to lose.
Good luck with the fishing :Thumb:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:In my humble opinion, I think it depends on how the fish are feeding, and the terrain you are fishing over. If the bottom is fairly clear of debris you can 'get away' with shorter hook-links, if the bottom is choddy or weedy then a longer length comes into play, thus to follow the contours better.

As for the feeding, if your loose feed is more scattered then the fish will upend between mouthfuls and a longer hook-link is the better option, if tight baiting has been done then the fish will move far less between scoffs, therefore a short length will be the most appropriate.
Couldn't agree more Stuart, I`d also suggest distance of the rig will also play a part. At 30 yards on mono you'll not see or feel the fish move the bait and move 2".... oooh the infamous shock rig.....
Stretch percentages of Mono Line;
Suffix =7.5%
Diawa sensor =7.5%
Okuma =12%
Ultima =7%
Greys =15%
Shimano 10%

Dappie

Post by Dappie »

I Always start with a hook length of 12 or 15 inch. If they bite slow I go longer, if the are greedy I go sometimes shorter, to be sure that the hook is not set to deep.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”