Hook packets

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Reedling
Catfish

Hook packets

Post by Reedling »

Here is a selection of old hook packets that I found recently....

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Hook packets

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They are great things to collect Reedling, I particularly like the Millwards Cormorant ones. There must be hundreds of different types out there and some interesting history behind the firms advertising on the packets.
I have dozens of different ones that I hope to arrange behind glass some day to make a display . I don't know whether to make a couple of wall hung pictures with them or maybe put them under glass for a coffee table top.

They could become like stamp collecting, I have a few swaps if anyone is interested :Hahaha:

Wal.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

That Cormorant one is a new favourite of mine WC. I made a case up a long while ago and I am sure I have put a picture of it on TFF before, it includes a few packets amongst other things. The bottom shelf is now full to overflowing and floats are lined up along the bottom waiting for a new case to come along. Anyway here is a picture of it again....

PS.... talking of swaps reminds me of being at Primary school in the playground, swapping Brooke Bond tea cards. happy days :Sun:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Cracking display :Thumb:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Do you want some more Reedling? I received a few old packets with a reel off ebay but I don't collect them and I don't want to use the hooks because I know some folk collect them! !!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thanks for your very kind offer Santiago but if I start collecting these things who knows where it will end up. I am a terrible hoarder of 'fine things' :Sun: and they would probably be put in a drawer and would not see the light of day for years, as a lot of my stuff does. My walls are literally full up and even if, and when, I get round to making another case, I will have to sacrifice something else.... or build an extension :eyebrow: All the best and kindest regards, and thanks again my friend. Reedling :Sun:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Nice frame...with old Jack smiling out from the middle too.

I have a small display case made from a set of old bookshelves. It was black and dark so I lined the whole thing with hook packets...probably paid far too much for them over the years but there are such a variety of the things....I think every tackle maker and a good few shops had their own label, so there are regional differences too.

To me they are a little bit of our history. How many anglers have slipped a hook out of one of those little packets with hands shaking with anticipation....?

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”