Fascinating float advert on ebay - Clue to BB's favourite?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Fascinating float advert on ebay - Clue to BB's favourite?

Post by Vole »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1929-AD-Fishi ... 23336884d8

Can anyone better at image handling than I capture this for posterity?

Some of the Genya-wine English bobbers have wire twists to secure the float on the line - could BB's favourite have been one such?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Robbi
Tench

Re: Fascinating float advert on ebay - Clue to BB's favourit

Post by Robbi »

Here ya go :)

$_35 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Thanks for trying, Robbi, but I'm trying to get the enlarged images - the "mouse here to zoom" type which is much easier to read; I can fix the image and send it to dropbox, but menus and image titles keep opening over the blasted image i'm trying to copy. It's driving me nuts!
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

My Image re-sizer doesn't increase the size either :Angry:

But viewing them in Windows Viewer and zooming in shows that they are pretty high def...so id we manage it they will read well....as it is I'm stuck with increasing the zoom in Viewer.

Edit: If I also click the 'actual size' in Viewer button they go huge.......

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Hover over the image so that it goes pale with a box that says 'click here with mouse to zoom'.
Click on that box and you get a small window open that has the first page showing enlarged in the centre, and both pages in miniature on the right.
Right click on the large image, click 'save picture as' - remembering to give it a name you can find again later.
Now make the second page appear in the centre by clicking on the little image of it, and then save picture in the same way as above.
This worked for me, hope it helps.....
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

save the images to your desk top then open them using windows paint ,nice a clear :Thumb:

or just click on the magnifying glass on the top left corner of the pictures I have put up for you.
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Fantastic! Many thanks, Gents!

Now, not having been able to get my paws on "Hooked on Floats", I don't know if such items feature in it, but I do recall people wondering about BB's favourite float, which could be secured to the line with a couple of turns into a wire spiral; some of these have something looking like three turns of biro spring on the tapered portion of the stem; this would achieve the desired effect, wouldn't it? I wonder if they were what great man was using?

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

It certainly looks as simple as a bit of biro spring on the stem of the float. Should be simple enough to replicate for those into float making. :idea:
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I cannot remember when but I have had floats with this on the bottom! It gave easy removal/change of the float.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Ah - are you referring to the pigtail spring at the bottom - like the one on a "Sidewinder"?
If you look along the other end of, for instance, the "barrel shape" float halfway down col. 1, p.1768, there's another spring wound fairly tightly around the tip, to lock it in place on the line. I think.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”