Hooks to nylon

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Aitch
Pike

Re: Hooks to nylon

Post by Aitch »

Gammarus wrote:I carry some for convenience, worth noting is that Drennn use thinner nylon than Kamasan.
Kamasan 5lb is 0.20 and Drennan is 0.16. I haven't tested them, notted etc. but it may be worth considering, I give the thicker stuff to my wife - you may wish to do the same for your dad :Wink:
I've had issues with Drennan hooklinks... they may have had a bad batch but I went through a whole packet of size 14 with bayonets points on hairs... they all broke just above the hook.... (I'm notorious for having soft hands too & I don't play fish hard, I swapped to Preston Innovations and had no further trouble :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Many thanks for the help and very kind offers Gents.

I've now ordered him two packs each in the maver carp range.

He was blaming my knotts, which I pointed out had caught over 30 fish on the same day. I told him to go home and test the breaking strain of the line. It was 8lb line and was snapping every time he put 5lb weights on it :shocked:

I told him not to buy cheap stuff any more when it comes to fishing lines. It wasn't really cheap but mid price range, so I've told him to stick to maxima or Daiwa sensor and use a Berkley hook length which is what I always go for.

I can't remember the name of the makers and I think he's now thrown them out. I think he's now learned his lesson. Which I'm glad abot because I don't want him blaming line for me catching more than him. :Wink:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

You can catch a fish with an old car aireal as a rod and a piece of wood as a reel, but no one can catch fish consistently and safely without good hooks and line, proof if it were needed.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Prince of Durham wrote:You can catch a fish with an old car aireal as a rod and a piece of wood as a reel, but no one can catch fish consistently and safely without good hooks and line, proof if it were needed.
Quite right PoD.

I was using bread flake on our last trip and it accounted for Tench, roach, carp, a clonking great gudgeon (which pleased me no end) and so many skimmers I lost count. A switch to lob worm tail brought me a PB Perch but I've not done a write up because I forgot to take my camera again.

Not bad 6 different species in a days fishing.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

How about using a hook tyer instead with spade ends! You can make your own and you don't need to be good at tying them as the device does it all for you.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

You may wish to peruse the following article and the chart of the test results.
http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/line-at-what ... break.html
Scroll down the page and click on the chart link....
I`ve used the Drennan hooks to nylon across the range and have never had a problem.....

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”