should I laugh or cry

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: should I laugh or cry

Post by Harry H »

Pafpuff wrote:What a find! Unbelieveable!!
I have some number 4's that have never had the tops painted do you have any idea of value? :Hat:[/quote]I think I have answered my own question :shocked:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-SUPERB-VINT ... QJTPA%253D[/quote]

Not quite Harry, the one on e-bay is the rarer slider float, your clean unpainted ones will be worth around £15 each[/quote]
Still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp float :Chuckle:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

What a superb and valuable find and what must be one of the best boot sale finds seen on here. What do you intend to do with the painted floats, have a go at stripping them or repaint them in colours that you like? You must have a go at using one or two as well Harry H.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Reedling wrote:What a superb and valuable find and what must be one of the best boot sale finds seen on here. What do you intend to do with the painted floats, have a go at stripping them or repaint them in colours that you like? You must have a go at using one or two as well Harry H.
Not sure yet probably have ago at stripping one of the broken ones as for using one I think I have enough for everyone to have a go :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I still can't quite believe that lot.

Part of the value of these paper floats is their rarity....paper and water ...not the brightest idea possibly..... :Chuckle:

Now we know they aren't as rare as we all thought.

Though in all these years I've never actually held one, so they aren't exactly common.

Chavender had a go at making these a few years back...he even worked out how to make them hollow.

I can picture him in my mind, up in his loft cum tackle room, sticky paper clippings and glue everywhere.....quietly cursing.....

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Nobby wrote:I still can't quite believe that lot.

Part of the value of these paper floats is their rarity....paper and water ...not the brightest idea possibly..... :Chuckle:

Now we know they aren't as rare as we all thought.

Though in all these years I've never actually held one, so they aren't exactly common.

Chavender had a go at making these a few years back...he even worked out how to make them hollow.

I can picture him in my mind, up in his loft cum tackle room, sticky paper clippings and glue everywhere.....quietly cursing.....
I think these people must have got a job lot sometime ago and painted them to sell on but you can see why they didn't :Cry: Image
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Looks like a post 1971 decimal currency price sticker.

I did find an online reference to a pet shop in Guildford starting out in businmess in 1968, but they seem to have been bought out by a chain now.....so I could find nothing further out.

The float with the sticker looks to be cork on a wooden shaft....like a Harcork.???

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Nobby wrote:Looks like a post 1971 decimal currency price sticker.

I did find an online reference to a pet shop in Guildford starting out in businmess in 1968, but they seem to have been bought out by a chain now.....so I could find nothing further out.

The float with the sticker looks to be cork on a wooden shaft....like a Harcork.???
yeah spot on its a chunky thing 8" with a 3/4" body also came with a slimer version which has been made into a Nottingham slider. :Thumb:
Anthony Shepherdson

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

It was quite an expensive thing - a pint in a pub in 1971 was about 12p.

See if you can chat to an art conservator via a gallery or museum website about removing the dud paint?

Are Zephyrs varnished or waxed? If the latter, the paint will probably lift if gently warmed and thumbnailed. But try and find a friendly expert first!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Vole wrote:It was quite an expensive thing - a pint in a pub in 1971 was about 12p.

See if you can chat to an art conservator via a gallery or museum website about removing the dud paint?

Are Zephyrs varnished or waxed? If the latter, the paint will probably lift if gently warmed and thumbnailed. But try and find a friendly expert first!
Thats a great idea thanks for that vole :Thumb:
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”