18" floats

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

18" floats

Post by Harry H »

what type of fishing would these be used for :Confused:

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: 18" floats

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Holds the float in position when the surface is ruffled by the wind I believe.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Taken from "This Fishing .. or .. Angling Arts and Artifices" by Captain L. A. Parker (pub. Bennett Brothers, Salisbury. 1948).

I hope this helps :-

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

Many years ago when you could walk into any fishing tackle shop worth its salt your could buy long/full peacock quills. Around the age of 14yrs I seem to remember reading a book written by Ivan Marks and he suggested using very long loaded wagglers to combat surface drift.

I made some around 18" long and took them to Elsecar Resevoir near Barnsley. This was a wide shallowish lake.
Low and behold they worked fine , but to my knowledge never disappeared from view !!

BSC
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A look at Billy Lanes book will show how the antenna float progressed.

London Reservoirs were where you could find very long antenna type floats although straight peacock was also used. Waves up to 2ft high, even bigger in gales although no sensible person would fish then then! Water up to 18ft deep and the far bank 3/4 mile away discouraged many LAA anglers at the Queen Mary in Sunbury - so ledgering was the alternative.

Peter Butler who had his name on several Edgar Sealey rods was an expert in catching reservoir roach on the lead during the 60s.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Spear fishing?

:Hat:

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Nobby wrote:Spear fishing?

:Hat:
:Hahaha:

Or whip a couple of guides onto it and use it as a stickleback rod :Chuckle:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Used to watch the match anglers at Layer Pits casting some enormous floats to extreme range for the carp. It looked like they were casting rod tops! They were certainly a lot longer than 18" and on a lot of the commercials these days they would probably stick in the bottom and their tops still be visible. That is if they didn't harpoon a poor fish in these modern day fish concentration camps on the way down.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

BendSomeCane wrote:Many years ago when you could walk into any fishing tackle shop worth its salt your could buy long/full peacock quills. Around the age of 14yrs I seem to remember reading a book written by Ivan Marks and he suggested using very long loaded wagglers to combat surface drift.

I made some around 18" long and took them to Elsecar Resevoir near Barnsley. This was a wide shallowish lake.
Low and behold they worked fine , but to my knowledge never disappeared from view !!

BSC
One of our local tackle shop owners fished with the man when Ivan went over to Germany to coach the Army team. He tells me that when Ivan saw the slow moving river that was being used for competition he plucked out from his bag two of the longest floats he had, broke the bottom off one, gaffer taped them both together to make a float over 2 feet long and proceeded to cast it across the other side of the river. You will know the rest as its a fishing story but needless to say the Army team set a new standard in competition over there.
He did add that the Army team were so pleased they invited Ivan back to the NAAFI where he proceeded to drain the place at their expense...well his expense actually as he was the team Captain :Hahaha:
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Thanks for the information much appreciated :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”