18" floats

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Fred
Grayling

Re: 18" floats

Post by Fred »

I use waggler floats up to and over 18in long when fishing very deep water or at distance for Bream.
If the water is deep (12ft+) I fish it as a slider float, if I wont to fish at distance 20-30yd it gives me the weight to cast and has enough tip to see.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

JAA

Post by JAA »

They remind me of two very long floats in "Hooked on Floats" (page 301/2) made for fishing deep sea swells - your might be good for a dam wall, deep water, in a choppy breeze, it's the sort of thing I'd want for such a spot.

The length gives them stability in waves that are in the top layers of the water - with plenty of buoyancy and weight low down, surface waves will simply roll over the tip, which will remain relatively static. I made a couple with cut-down dart vanes at the lower end as well, to keep the float still, to be fished as bottom eye sliders for such a water, but the trip never materialized.

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

I used and made floats like this years ago when I fished "carters gravel pit" here for Bream, it held big slab bream and it was so exposed that it was often like the sea with high waves..so it worked well :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”