Auger Nevamis Floats

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Auger Nevamis Floats

Post by TemeLAD »

Can anyone throw any light on the Auger Nevamis range and in particular when they switched from cane to alloy stems?

Until today I thought this range was only ever produced with cane stems with their signature red and green livery on the lower part of the stem.

Here is a photo of the one I have just acquired with an alloy stem - it's definately not a home conversion as the paintwork is all original

Any information would be most appreciated - thank you :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: Auger Nevamis Floats

Post by Deaf Cat »

I think it was quite a wide range of products/technologies

I have seen Auger Nevamiss porcupine quill floats.

In fact there is a picture of a pack on Andrews of Arcadia's blog here
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JeR7WdZYSSg/T ... amiss1.JPG

and cane stems here
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JeR7WdZYSSg/T ... evred1.JPG
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I have an Auger catalogue that quotes a purchase tax rate in place on the 20th April 1965. I guess this dates it from that year or soon afterwards!

In that catalogue is a range of floats named Speedichange floats (Pat Pending). They are in Range "M" 5 Thames style and 1 Grayling style. There is also Range"A" of 4 sizes of Antenna floats.

The description of these floats is as follows:- These floats may be interchanged by unscrewing the barrel from the lower stem and screwing on a different size or colour of barrel as required.

To me that would suggest that the stem is not cane so could this be one of the floats that you have acquired? If that is so then it does at least give a date when they were in production!

The quality of the printing of the catalogue is too poor to reproduce clearly.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Many thanks for the info DC and Bob - I've tried to unscrew the stem, it's not budging (perhaps I'm being a bit cautious) though there is no obvious break in the paintwork to suggest it could be unscrewed.

:Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”