Roach Fishing with Ultralight 'pin; What Line?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
WoodBurnerMatt
Rudd

Roach Fishing with Ultralight 'pin; What Line?

Post by WoodBurnerMatt »

Good Morning Gentlemen,

I am setting up a very light centrepin and very light action cane rod combo a (to be used solely to target Roach/Small silver fish) what Make and BS would you learned Gentlemen recommend. I was thinking 3lb Main and 1&1/2 hook length? Not sure which brand, I like Diawa Sensor in the higher BS probably beacause it is cheap, but possibly a bit silly considering how much I spent on the 'pin! :doh:

Thank you all for your (invaluable) help as always.

Woodburnermatt

Gurn
Chub

Re: Roach Fishing with Ultralight 'pin; What Line?

Post by Gurn »

I use Drennan float fish in 4.4lb bs (also available in 3.2lb)..Floats well, and being a bit thicker pulls off of the reel a bit better. Holds up well to those bonus chub as well..I usually use a 1lb 14oz hook to nylon.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I use 3lb Maxima for trotting for roach and dace with no problems, and use a modern make of 1.5lb line for hooklink, I think it might be Diawa Sensor. I've also started to use Drennan Silver fish hooks which I've found to be very good!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Dependent upon the average size of fish/snags/etc you could go very light, 2lb main & 1.5 hooklength. That is what I use for livebait catching, not wanting anything over 4oz but with a very good chance of landing fish to about 3lb. You must then only put about 25m on your reel.

Of course if trotting/fishing farther away with the need to strike harder - up it to the posts above which is almost my normal trotting kit.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Santiago wrote:I use 3lb Maxima for trotting for roach and dace with no problems, and use a modern make of 1.5lb line for hooklink, I think it might be Diawa Sensor. I've also started to use Drennan Silver fish hooks which I've found to be very good!
+1
Are the roach hooks eyed Torre? I like to use a spade end for trotting but an eyed hook on the tip. Tying the hook with a knotless hair and cutting it off gives a better turn on the hook-up especially this time of year when grubs are getting sucked.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'll check when I'm home!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

A good line to use is WB Clark (or Silstar) Match Team. It's quite thin so go by diameter rather than breaking strain. 0.15mm is about right for trotting - any thinner and it gets a bit difficult to control. I use Refill Powering for hook lengths in diameters from 0.09 to 0.11 mm. Again, go by diameter rather than breaking strain.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

That should of course be Reflo Powerline. I've just had to have a stern word with the spell checker on my tablet!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Personally , I wouldn't go above a 2.5lb main line and a 1.75lb hooklength for float fishing . Hooks have to be spade end for the extra finesse they provide . I use a microswivel to attach the hooklength to mainline since I've found this helps to mitigate line twist. It's important to use balanced tackle to ensure that line breakages when hooking larger fish are virtually eliminated .

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

The lowest I go with standard mono like Bayer, Maxima is 2 lb. But I only use that when dace, or roach fishing. My normal line is 3lb which I use for Chub and Grayling trotting.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”