"Model Perfect"

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

"Model Perfect"

Post by Penninelad »

When I started fishing Allcocks "Model Perfect"hooks were what the a lot of anglers used.Some weeks ago I purchased a leather hook wallet and was surprised to find when it arrived that as well numerous hooks to nylon it contained around two hundred unused eyed "Model Perfects" in new condition in their original packets with not a spot of rust on them.I decided I would use them and tied a selection on to braid hair rigs.I used them today and caught two nice chub on the river Dearne in South Yorkshire weighing 4lbs and 5lbs.The rod was a Millwards Floatmaster and the reel an Avon Royal Supreme.Bait cheese paste.The hooks were just as good as I remember them being when I started fishing. Image
Mark Davies

MGs
Pike

Re: "Model Perfect"

Post by MGs »

Well done, cracking fish
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Was this on the stretch down from Bolton towards Adwick? I'm planning to visit this stretch next week and, coincidentally, was thinking about using breadandcheese paste. I've also got fond memories of the Model Perfect.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Model Perfect hooks in packets are worth quite a lot of money, they occasionally appear on eBay. If you have 200 unused in packets they could be worth £100-200. I wouldn't use them for 2 reasons (i) They are too expensive to lose in trees or in snags (ii) they are coarse in the wire and not very sharp compared with modern chemically sharpened hooks.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Yes it was between Bolton and Adwick upstream of the Adwick Bridge.Fish hooks are there to be used.I do not agree with your observations. The wire used on "Model Perfects" seems no thicker than that used on for instance Drennan specimens.They may not have been chemically sharpened but however they were tempered and sharpened Allcocks did a good job.In any event I always carry a sharpening stone and check the point at regular intervals.
Mark Davies

JAA

Post by JAA »

Penninelad wrote:Yes it was between Bolton and Adwick upstream of the Adwick Bridge.Fish hooks are there to be used.I do not agree with your observations. The wire used on "Model Perfects" seems no thicker than that used on for instance Drennan specimens.They may not have been chemically sharpened but however they were tempered and sharpened Allcocks did a good job.In any event I always carry a sharpening stone and check the point at regular intervals.
I find a lot of modern hooks are not particularly well hardened and some older hooks are rather better, with equivalent strengths in finer wires, which in turn give better penetration. You can always flatten the barb, but on older hooks it's as well to give them a good tweak with pliers to see if the hook is a tough springy one or a 'snapper'...

Some of the Gamakatsu worm hooks are incredibly strong for the thin wire, shows what can be done.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”