Old Floats.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Old Floats.

Post by Vole »

dgc, does the hidden side of that float bear the name "Mady"?

As for its use, it rather depends on what the "head" is made of; if hardwood, the float may be too unstable to be much use; if pith or cork,then fine - it acts as a great big flag so you can find the thing if you've had to look away; the thin stem actually shows the bites, and if it's calm enough, the blob and its reflection double the apparent movement. If you slide the body a bit further down the stem, there should - if it's a Mady - be a colour change ( usually to white); shot it so this is just above the surface - ideally, by one stem's width, and bites will fairly shriek at you.
If it's a knock-off or re-painted, give it a band of tippex to do the same job.
All you need now is one of those '60s bamboo poles, and you're well set for some retro roaching.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Thank you Vole.

I think it is all cork, I don't see a problem with shotting it as you suggest.

I don't see a name, but the body does slide to reveal white stem. I suspect it has been repainted.

Something to play with in a few weeks! :hat:
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Dallan47
Minnow

Post by Dallan47 »

I rember in the mid 70's buying a float with a light in it.Made of black plastic which opened up into two parts to take a small deaf aid battery.The tip glowed red and if weighted so you got a double image was good but bit hard after awhile on the eyes.Have still a good collection of old floats but this one has gone walk abouts.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Here's the one's I use most however the quill's get used for the trickier swims and a couple of Winfield floats that I don't use not because of value but because of the memories their packaging brings back.

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I had one of those Deaf Cat! The body is reversible making it a stillwater float with a sight bob OR as is - a long trotting float with sight bob. Is the bob removable?

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”