Floats in a glass case...I ask you.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Northern Eel
Chub

Re: Floats in a glass case...I ask you.

Post by Northern Eel »

To be honest, I prefer to use tackle rather than just look at it (I use my Paul Cooks floats now & again) but having said that, I don't see whats wrong with someone who collects floats wanting to preserve/display them.

Lets all be happy, its a sunny day! :Sun:

PS. Just to put this into perspective, go to ebay & search "VGA Sealed" and look at the madness of people sending away unopened computer games (some less than 10 years old) and paying a "company" to give it a dubious "grading" and having it sent back to them, sealed inside a plastic container!!!!!
It makes these floats look even better!
Last edited by Northern Eel on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I worry about the soul of someone who can't see the point of floats in a glass case. We are addicted to watching them in the water; what better substitute when we cannot be at the waterside?

One seldom sees a framed selection of classic and historic ledger weights offered; they are sold because we need them, and they do their valuable service unseen; but lures, flies and floats are often framed - despite protestations that the first two are designed to attract the fish, any dealer knows that they have to attract an angler first.

And what we find attractive, we tend to exhibit.

Anyway, if there's a real emergency, you can always take them out of the case and use them...

P.S. Certain treasured floats of mine seem to have suffered "Initial Alphabetic Slippage" and are now fondly known as "Gloats".
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Vole wrote:I worry about the soul of someone who can't see the point of floats in a glass case. We are addicted to watching them in the water; what better substitute when we cannot be at the waterside?

One seldom sees a framed selection of classic and historic ledger weights offered; they are sold because we need them, and they do their valuable service unseen; but lures, flies and floats are often framed - despite protestations that the first two are designed to attract the fish, any dealer knows that they have to attract an angler first.

And what we find attractive, we tend to exhibit.

Anyway, if there's a real emergency, you can always take them out of the case and use them...

P.S. Certain treasured floats of mine seem to have suffered "Initial Alphabetic Slippage" and are now fondly known as "Gloats".

:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: I've got some of those, too...errr...quite a lot actually :Scared: :Scared: :Scared:

Troutbeck :Wink:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Tea Snob

Post by Tea Snob »

Thanks for all the replies. All points of order duly noted. I did not intend to criticise but was just wondering really. I put it down to having a glass of Merlot hard by and thinking aloud, or perhaps too much fly fishing in my diet.

Apologies for any offence caused to framed float aficionados far and afield with my foolish fermentations.

I must say though that I think they would be prettier sitting in the water, (or in the toilet Doc!) but that’s just me.

Cheers Scott for the heads up about eBay links.

Must try harder…

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I think the point really TS is that using something that someone has made for its intended purpose is flattering but I can't imagine a higher compliment of anyone's work than to take the time to display it in such a manner.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

The urge to make a lure or float prettier than it needs to be runs deep... Ben Maurice-Jones, who had a tackle-stall in a shop in Portobello Road, showed me some "Devon Minnows" that were in fast Mesoamerican and ancient, and covered in kingfisher (or similar) feathers. He said that so much labour, and such precious materials, were used so as to make them as perfect as possible in order to impress the spirits of the river, the fish, god of hunting or just "God", in hopes of them granting a good catch.

Hasn't one of our members got a rod he's named for the left-handed god of fishing and hunting? Same sort of thing.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Well Paul, when you read this it should be rather satisfying to see the support your floats have. I'm very much one for using, but do understand the need to display too.

What a marvellous Fathers day present a set of Paul's incredible floats would make and then said Father could decide whether to leave them in the case or use them. Whatever way a cased set is a much nicer gift than a bundle of floats - and a damn sight easier to wrap.

I wish my father angled.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

And I wish my offspring could take note of your post Shaun :Beg:
Oh and no apologies needed as far as I'm concerned TS,thats what makes us all thankfully different :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Oh God, I've just realised....I honestly forgot I have these on the wall:

Frame from a charity shop, base image off the net, Allcocks floats mounted with glue.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

What a fine thread. This calls for a quote:-

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing."

Lord Byron.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”