The story of the Fluted Float

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Re: The story of the Fluted Float

Post by Phil Arnott »

Using a loaded float or a heavy shot directly below the float achieves the same effect. The float becomes very stable and when mending the line it will just ride up in the water a little. The way Ivan Marks used the zoomer attached top and bottom would result in this effect and would allow some control when fishing well out in waters like the Welland.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I agree Phil

After much perseverance a big shot below a cane stem float makes it behave like a lignum or heavy wire stem float in my opinion.
It makes life a lot easer when you know that LOL

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Nobby

In you photo you show a vaned float and in you blog there is a photo of loads I made for BFW members [with all the flutes]. I could not get on with them. Have you, or others, ever tried them?
Take care

Mike

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Santiago wrote:"No nothing about the use of the floats....... " Nobby 18/10/2015

I don't believe you!!!!

Ta for that...I think I got spellchecking into a load of old nonsense there...para now corrected to at least make some sense.......

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Mike Wilson wrote:Nobby

In you photo you show a vaned float and in you blog there is a photo of loads I made for BFW members [with all the flutes]. I could not get on with them. Have you, or others, ever tried them?
Take care

Mike

I well remember the floats Mike...total dedication and admirable consistency. I did make a few myself and have yet to try them...daft really as I still don't know if they will really move to the far side.......

Here's Mike's floats fellers.......deep respect! Aeros and fluted avons.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

They are things of beauty!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I love those fluted avons

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

He's a lean, mean float-makin' machine!

Crazy Crab

Post by Crazy Crab »

just making meself a fluted float, its taken me 40mins so far, just got to get some super fine sand/glass paper and paint

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've been meaning to put this image here for years....honestly....my memory.

In searching through fishing tackle patents a few years back I found this:

It's the images from a patent granted in 1947 to a Mr. Oates and a Mr. Davies, both of Yorkshire, for fluted floats.

Since no one I know of is aware of any being made so early...them not appearing until about 1964, the year of Albert Smalley's death, ..or maybe a bit ealier? I can only presume that they never went into production.

I don't know how long UK patents lasted then for sure, but I believe it was 15 years, just like the Hardy full bail patent that stopped J W Young from making one until 1954, or Mitchell from importing into the UK, the full bail reel they were already selling in the US.

If patents did indeed last 15 years, as I suspect, the fluted float would have been protected until 1962....which is close to when they finally did get made.

I'm not for one moment suggesting the Major et al didn't have the idea themselves unaware that the idea had ocurred before and even been patented.

Another patent I found was for the pith float, with a particular reference to elder being used.........approved in 1929:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”