Chub Hooks

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Stuart Whiting

Re: Chub Hooks

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Stathamender wrote:With advancing age, failing eyes and arthritis I've given up on spade ends completely. Eyed hooks are bad enough, I've taken to pretying them at home using a fly vice and magnifying glass.
Yep I can understand wear yer coming from, my eyes aren't quite the same, I need to get me eyes tested as recently I'm now struggling to see the numbers/letters on the buttons of me phone up close :Cry: I don't know yet but I may be long sighted,

Might be a case of back to the drawing board again and look for an eyed pattern that I can eventually tie a little easier :Hat:

All the best

Stuart

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Mind you, I wouldn't like to make out that I was ever that good with spade ends. 40 years ago I used to use a device for tying them, red stick thing with a split end vice , trapped the hook in it shank end out, passed the line through a metal frame at the end, turned it round half a dozen times and it wrapped the line round the shank, then you pressed the frame down, released the hook from the vice and bingo it drew the line through and you had a whipped spade end. About 20% of the time. Went back to eyed.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Stathamender wrote:Mind you, I wouldn't like to make out that I was ever that good with spade ends. 40 years ago I used to use a device for tying them, red stick thing with a split end vice , trapped the hook in it shank end out, passed the line through a metal frame at the end, turned it round half a dozen times and it wrapped the line round the shank, then you pressed the frame down, released the hook from the vice and bingo it drew the line through and you had a whipped spade end. About 20% of the time. Went back to eyed.
Yea mate, that sounds like one of the drennan hook tyres, there were a couple of other makes aswell, I did try them myself and like yourself did not like them and I then tied by hand but must admit am finding it even a little harder to do that now :Cry:

Best fishes

Stuart

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Michael wrote:The older near vintage Drennan Carbon Chub are superb, unfortunately, if found on sale on the likes of flea bay, they'll only come in 22/24`s.....
My favourite small hook pattern for chub. I bought a supply of no. 16s when they were still available and so far have not run out. I hate it when you find a really good product which they stop making.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

This thread has me wondering what's a bad hook pattern for chub?? Which hooks should one avoid using and why?? Or are favourite patterns just based on anecdotal catch rates?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

One of the older patterns of hooks I like for bread fishing for roach is the AU LION D'OR SERIES 1206 (chrystal in gold). I bought some no10s and 12s from a chap in Italy on a certain website and he enclosed a box of no 11s free. £2.55/100 when I last looked. They are quite fine wire and not a strong hook but perfect for roach.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

The definitive answer on small hooks is given by Jack Charlton at about 4.55 minutes through this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yGEzVG9SCg
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Stathamender wrote:The definitive answer on small hooks is given by Jack Charlton at about 4.55 minutes through this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yGEzVG9SCg
Well I suppose that is one solution, I'll probably end up resorting to that myself when it finally gets to the stage that I can't see small hooks no more :Hat:

Stuart

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Santiago wrote:This thread has me wondering what's a bad hook pattern for chub?? Which hooks should one avoid using and why?? Or are favourite patterns just based on anecdotal catch rates?
Hi mate,

I don't particularly like the kammasan animal hooks A ) because I think it's quite a thick gauge and B ) because it glistens in clear shallow water and sunlight :fingertap:

The worst hooks I ever used when I where younger where the fladden hooks , when I fished a small commercial carp pond with em every single hook in the pkt had straightened and vouched that I'd never use fladden again, absolute pants :rant:

Stuart

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Santiago wrote:This thread has me wondering what's a bad hook pattern for chub?? Which hooks should one avoid using and why?? Or are favourite patterns just based on anecdotal catch rates?
Good question...Hook choice is a very personal thing. Most of us are happy to use different rods and reels because it's nice to ring the changes. A change of venue is also welcome, but the thought of using anything other than a hook pattern you have used for years and in which you have absolute faith, is for many of us, unthinkable. It's a bit like using a brand of line other than Maxima... :Notlisterning:

The truth is, the majority of modern hooks are very good indeed and a vast improvement on what we had available in the fifties and sixties. I still 'ping' every hook with my fingernail to check the temper, no need nowadays, but I still do it...old habits die hard.

Does anyone remember cutting the shanks short on low water salmon hooks and soldering a blob on the shanks to stop the knot sliding off? Then Jack Hilton's hooks came along, great hooks, made by Partridge's I believe.

Finally, if a decent chub does find a snag and it often will, it doesn't really matter which brand or pattern of hook you are using, it will still spoil your day...

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”