Swim Feeders

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Fred
Grayling

Re: Swim Feeders

Post by Fred »

I do, we use to make them by rapping stripes of lead around lades curlers or film canisters but I use shop bought ones now.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

You can make open ended feeders very easily..
Use a strip of plastic off a coke bottle staple together to form a tube. Burn the holes into the sides with a soldering iron.
Then just add a strip off lead flashing to the bottom.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Old film or microfiche - when the office closed and the microfiche was redundant - except for open ended swim feeders!

Film canisters - pill containers for block type feeders and ladies hair curlers (that was 1960ish) for open ended feeders.

Nowadays so many variations - and so much money some of them!

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Firebird wrote:Don't use blockend feeders unless you want to spread your bait all over the river. It doesn't come out sitting on the river bed.
Used correctly you ain't gonna spread bait all over the river, got more chance in doing that with a cage or open end feeder :fingertap:
The whole idea of a blocked feeder is to use maggot or hemp n caster and the force of the flow from the river pushes the bait out of the feeder so it trickles a few yards downstream and then draws the fish up into your swim :Hat:

Stuart

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

For slow or still waters I use (and have since I first started using these over 40 years ago) a large blockend with the top end taken off, either altogether and discarded or loosened off (I tend to use blockend feeders with the lead strip taken off and a length - c 6" - of line passed through the feeder with several swan shot attached below the bottom of the feeder and a swivel at the other end). I think they call these drop feeders nowadays. The smaller feeders closed both ends I use with maggots or chopped worm only. I'm not convinced other baits (corn, hemp etc) disperse all that well from them other than in fast streams where they dissipate very quickly anyway.

On the other hand, I think that for some of the uses that swimfeeders are put to (e.g. hemp or corn), people would be better off using bait droppers instead. Incidentally I've recently changed the way I use droppers reasonably close in: I used to use a cheap telescopic rod with a Mitchell spool filled with old line and a large hook, attach a reel to the spool only for bait dropping, then put the reel back on the rod being used. Loop the line through the dropper bracket twice before inserting hook. But for some time now I've been using a cheapo telescopic pole (6-7 meters) for preparatory plumbing (I fish a lot of canals and small rivers that aren't all that wide) and that also works for (very precise) bait dropping. Maybe some day I'll actually get round to fishing with it.

I lke to mix Carnation in with liquidised bread when I use it in a feeder.
Last edited by Stathamender on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

feeder fishing looking up at a rod tip is not for me, boring, trotting a float is more fun and i think a lot of bites go undetected ,touch ledgering is more effective and makes a true traditional angler, bernard venables im sure would not approve of it

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Stathamender wrote:For slow or still waters I use (and have since I first started using these over 40 years ago) a large blockend with the top end taken off, either altogether and discarded or loosened off (I tend to use blockend feeders with the lead strip taken off and a length - c 6" - of line passed through the feeder with several swan shot attached below the bottom of the feeder and a swivel at the other end). I think they call these drop feeders nowadays. The smaller feeders closed both ends I use with maggots or chopped worm only. I'm not convinced other baits (corn, hemp etc) disperse all that well from them other than in fast streams where they dissipate very quickly anyway.

On the other hand, I think that for some of the uses that swimfeeders are put to (e.g. hemp or corn), people would be better off using bait droppers instead. Incidentally I've recently changed the way I use droppers reasonably close in: I used to use a cheap telescopic rod with a Mitchell spool filled with old line and a large hook, attach a reel to the spool only for bait dropping, then put the reel back on the rod being used. Loop the line through the dropper bracket twice before inserting hook. But for some time now I've been using a cheapo telescopic pole (6-7 meters) for preparatory plumbing (I fish a lot of canals and small rivers that aren't all that wide) and that also works for (very precise) bait dropping. Maybe some day I'll actually get round to fishing with it.

I lke to mix Carnation in with liquidised bread when I use it in a feeder.
:Hat:

Stuart
Last edited by Stuart Whiting on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Chubman wrote:feeder fishing looking up at a rod tip is not for me, boring, trotting a float is more fun and i think a lot of bites go undetected ,touch ledgering is more effective and makes a true traditional angler, bernard venables im sure would not approve of it
That's why when roving for big roach and chub on small rivers 9 out of 10 I'll touch ledger :dance2:

Stuart

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Firebird wrote:It is a myth that force of flow empties a blockfeeder. There is very little flow on the river bed except in fast turbulent water, where you're unlikely to use a feeder anyway. It comes out when it's sinking and when you're reeling in. I wouldn't rely on a fish emptying it for me. And how taping up holes causes it to empty I don't understand.
It's not a myth mate, a blocked feeder does empty if using maggot in a river even with little flow , seems to work ok for me, admittedly it may take 10 minutes or so to empty but it does normally empty, that's why a lot of known very good anglers use this tactic for Stillwater roach and tench with good affect,

I use to think this, that in a Stillwater they don't come but they do and it obviously works otherwise no one would employ the tactic :Thumb:

The only time maggot does not come out of a feeder so easily is if the water is cold but however if there's enough flow in a river it'll still push it out, very good tactic for clear water winter chub :Hat:

Stuart

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Chubman wrote:feeder fishing looking up at a rod tip is not for me, boring, trotting a float is more fun and i think a lot of bites go undetected ,touch ledgering is more effective and makes a true traditional angler, bernard venables im sure would not approve of it
Use a swing tip instead of a quiver tip, at least as sensitive as touch legering. The phrase 'le(d)ger line' used in a fishing context has been around in print since the late 17C at least (I think the angling use predates the musical one), so the practice must have been around even longer. Sounds pretty traditional to me.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”