Swim Feeders

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Swim Feeders

Post by Mark »

I have just been reading a swim feeder article by Dick Walker which was first published in the Angling Times in November 1973. I happen to of read it tonight in his book 'The Best of Dick Walker's Coarse Fishing'. An interesting article. I have also seen comments on the internet where swim feeders were being used as far back as the 1930's, albeit in the ladies curly format.

Does anyone fish with swim feeders.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Swim Feeders

Post by OldTackle »

I do Mark but lost my most favorite small one . Think it was a Drennan. Open end and light enough to be cast with an Avon rod. I need to find it again! size probably 20-30g so nothing for strong currents...

Edit: I fish them with the loop method using twisted side arm for the short hook link. Works great with wallis casting when the distance is not too big. Easily done one the bank. No swivel's ect...
Last edited by OldTackle on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Maybe I should consider them a bit more
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Loop Erimder wrote:Maybe I should consider them a bit more
I am going to try them at the weekend for the chub Loop, this will be the first time I have used them for years.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Use your index or better little finger on the line to feel the bites Mark.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I often use them when barbel and chub fishing. Small cage feeders are great when fishing flake for chub. Just squeeze in some mash and swing it out. Daiwa Harrier feeders from the 90s are good if you can find them, but any small cage feeder will work. Feed mash by hand as normal and use a small feeder to attract chub to your hook bait. In cold clear conditions don't feed and rely on the feeder alone.

For rivers like the Soar try to find ones with 12g or less of lead on them as chub will often give finicky bites on heavier ones.

A five pounder caught on flake with mash in a feeder

A ten pounder caught on maggot feeder in winter
Last edited by SeanM on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Mark wrote:
Loop Erimder wrote:Maybe I should consider them a bit more
I am going to try them at the weekend for the chub Loop, this will be the first time I have used them for years.
I reckon I may just give them a bash too either on the Avon or the Leam not decided which yet
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Like Sean says I will be using flake on the hook but liquidised bread in the cage feeder.
Mark (Administrator)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The 1930's ??? :Wink: The earliest reference to a 'swim feeder' I've seen was highlighted in "Freshwater Fishing" by Falkus and Buller (page 435) ... who state that "The first groundbaiting device - the swimfeeder - was described in 1674 by Nicholas Cox, in 'The Gentleman's Recreation.' "

"If you will bait a stream, get some tin boxes made full of holes, no bigger than just fit for a worm to creep though; then fill these boxes with them, and having fastened a plummet to sink them, cast them into the stream ... By the smallness of the holes aforesaid, the worms can crawl out but very leisurely, and as they crawl the fish will resort about them."

There's nothing new under the sun ... as a wise man once said. :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I use them, the trick is to cast out, let it "sit" for a minute then twitch it back a foot or so... hey presto.. your hook bait is sitting amongst the tempting contents of the feeder :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”