Swim Feeders

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Stathamender
Tench

Re: Swim Feeders

Post by Stathamender »

Olly wrote:Designed by and sold by John Roberts amongst other thing - now retired. Excellent piece of kit, if you buy the parts you can make up any length required.
Easily extended with a piece of plastic drinking straw, when I first used feeders back in the 70s I used to use these (painted matt green) on the dropper length to the feeder itself.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Fellow Member Grazy Roberts sent me 3 of his home made feeders to try out on the Kennet and as you can see they worked.
Not my normal style of fishing but if you want a good Barbel it's worth a go.
Bumble

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the help and advise chaps.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

I have always been a bit of a feeder angler and was always happiest on the tip rather than the pole. Even with traditional tackle I have been experimenting with a maggot feeder for Perch. The Perch I am holding in my profile picture I caught on the maggot feeder.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I am a big fan of the cage feeder on rivers filled with liquidised bread, big piece of flake on the hook superb method for chub in winter.
For a flooded river drennan black caps down the edge sometimes its the only way to catch

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Soaked pellets in the feeder, little piece of meat on the hook :Wink:

Or soaked or blitzed bread in the feeder and a grain of corn on the hook :Wink:

Or, maggots in a blockend and lobworm on the hook..... for perch :Wink:

I've said too much.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

I personally don't do an awful lot of feeder fishing but when I do use em its normally on the lower Thames at night for the bream,
I'm actually gonna be fishing up at chertsey/ laleham on the second night of the new season with a freind of mine from Nottingham.
My freind is a very competitive match angler, now I don't ever match fish and certainly don't intend to but the info and match tactics ive learnt is to fold.

Euan used to live in Staines and won a lot of the major matches on the Thames and was known as the roach master , one time at Hampton court tacking a bag of roach to 55lb and that was just 49 fish ( all roach ) that is some roach fishing from the Thames, I've had upto around 30lb myself with many 1lb plus roach, all caught on hemp, Tare and caster.

Those were very happy days then :Thumb:

These pics are how me mate Euan prepares for bream feeder fishing, apologies if some maybe a bit on the modern side but felt it may benefit others :Hat:

Image Image Image

I used to think that this was all far fetched and OTT but once out on the bank can definitely see the reasons behind and for doing this,
On a big pit it simply ain't no good guessing,

A bit of practice and it'll be like riding a bike :Thumb:

Stuart

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Have used them a lot for Roach fishing, small blockend filled with liquidised bread and flake on the hook. Twitch back a little when the feeder has come to rest and you have groundbait and hookbait close together. What more can you ask for?

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Chris Bettis wrote:Have used them a lot for Roach fishing, small blockend filled with liquidised bread and flake on the hook. Twitch back a little when the feeder has come to rest and you have groundbait and hookbait close together. What more can you ask for?
Hi Chris,

Blockend feeders are for maggot and can use hemp in em when fishing rivers that have got reasonable bit of flow to push the hemp out,

If fishing with Liccy and bread flake on the hook you'd be far better off using a cage feeder or a open ended feeder if your swim has got some depth to it and has got a bit of pace :Thumb:

Stuart

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It does if you tape up the holes on the side/round the feeder leaving only the top with holes and the bottom with holes!

Remember chub will pick up and shake a feeder for the contents.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”