Bumble commissioned me in creating a rod bag true artisan style

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Bumble commissioned me in creating a rod bag true artisan style

Post by OldTackle »

Hi gents,

quite a while ago I was looking for a new rod bag / holdall as I was bored of all that plastic bags around the corner. The only interesting one I could find was a bag made by L.L.Bean in the US. But only from materials used. I was more looking after something that would somehow merge in A Passion For Angling. So I sat down, ordered canvas and leather material, made a plan and had a go. When posting the end result my new holdall attracted some interest and I got a request whenever I would think of making a second he would be interested. A bit back and forth and I decided to give it another go. But rather than creating a copy of mine I wanted to match the needs of the "customer" Bumble. And while I was using very heavy canvas for my own I still kept the lighter material I already used occasionally for instance to make a bag for my Kelly Kettle. The material is more of the sort that is used for a Barbour waxed jacked and I thought it might be a good idea to wax that material too. I ordered two cans of Barbour's wax dressing and had to use 1 1/2 on the pre-cut fabric. It turned out to become a bit of a long shot and it costed me an iron and 4-5 hours of continuous work to get the fabric soaked all through. Not to mention the angry wife afterwards :whistle: Nothing I can recommend to do but the look of the end result pays it all back.
I wanted to use only the finest materials and so I did order some additional Nappa leather and leather straps from my finest supplier.
To secure all seams I used three stitchings so even if occasionally the outer gets weak there are two others to compensate. I think this will come additionally into play at the leathered bottom.
I do not want to go too hard into detail so I will just post pictures of the completed rod bag:
This is the top with a leather rim I placed where the rods will slip in. (I just realized there is a tiny little mistake as I bent the fabric to the wrong side before I sewed over it but that's no problem. Any loose fibres will have to be cut off from time to time - apologies for that)

There is an outer fixation option for the two of Bumble's bamboo bank sticks. (I would have used bamboo bank sticks if I had any, of course)

This is how it will look like when two bank sticks are attached and the flap is securing them.

The bag upright with some content in it and how it will look like next to a Barbour jacket.

I hope Bumble will add some authentic vintage look to it and post some more pictures in use (or his angling companions- maybe even better).
Last but not least I would like to emphasize that this special bag is nothing that I let go easily but I hope that it will serve Colin at its best and I am sure it will add some authentic look to his artisan style of angling.

Colin, your new rod bag is second to none and that's how we like it, isn't it?
Last edited by OldTackle on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Bumble commissioned me in creating a rod bag true artisan style

Post by Marc »

Wow. That's what I've been searching for for years. That's not a hint. So many rod bags/ holdalls are massive affairs with two much going on. That looks perfect for a days stalking. The closest I've found in trade that comes close to my needs is the korum 2 rod holdall.

Well done and lucky man Bumble.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Now that is a very nice item indeed
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Christopher, that is absolutely stunning, I am lost for words...... :drool:

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Superb !Well done Sir ! .

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Very nice indeed. :Thumb: Well done Chris, I am sure Colin will be over the moon. :Hat:

Wal.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

I've been drawn to the whole Artisan thing for many years now whether it's float making, rod building or restoration hence my connection with Chance Cane and fellow member Hambuger. When I saw the original rod bag that Chris made it wasn't long before a PM was sent. Many PM's followed regarding design and this is very much bespoke to suit me.
To say I am delighted would be an understatement and I am sure in the weeks ahead you will all be bored with the pictures for that I make no apology in advance.
Bumble

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I wish I was that talented OldTackle, a lovely piece of craftsmanship. Well done Sir. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

A beautiful piece of artisan tackle there; really delightful - congratulations to both Colin and Christopher.....

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Superb!

That's just how a Traditional rod bag aught to look (aught to have looked)
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”