Auger Floats

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

Auger Floats

Post by Wagtail »

Harcork floats might be more collectable (and they are nice enough) but I have a soft spot for the Auger 'Nevamiss' range of floats with their red/green/cork livery. Also I like those red/green/white floats which only seem to come as antenna types, one being illustrated in the Ladybird Book of Coarse Fishing (my first fishing book :read: ) and a long-time target for me to obtain.

The first photo below shows my little selection of mostly tatty, but never-the-less loveable, Augers. The second photo shows what strikes me as an anomaly..... unless of course anyone knows different :holmes:

It is a Nevermiss with a balsa body. I've only ever seen cork-bodied ones so must assume it would be a late model. Any ideas or knowledge of the facts, Gents?

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Re: Auger Floats

Post by Wagtail »

Just me who likes them then :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :Chuckle:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I like them Wagtail :Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Do the Auger floats have a name on the stem like the Harcork?

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Look good to me, like the avons on the left hand side.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I have a few Auger floats in my collection, although they are not stamped like Harcorks so are not readily identifiable. These are my more interesting ones, made for the Charrington brewers to advertise their Toby ales. There is a duplicate red one that I would happily swap for one with a different colourway!

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

As Bob says they aren't marked, but I believe the green/red/varnished cork combination is distinctive (the red band does it).

If anyone has an Auger catalogue that they are willing to lend/sell/scan I would be interested in seeing it. I didn't realise the Charrington floats were made by Auger, now I'll have to get one of them too :Chuckle:

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I have a little Auger sliding antenna-float I must try out; the upper ring is only half-way up the body which I can only guess is to enable the float to be held back without riding up flat or diving under like a waggler - I shall see, once the rivers open and the first focus on catching something - anything! - subsides.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

You mean like these Vole? I hadn't realised just how strange is the positioning of the top eye half way up the body.

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Just like.
I'm getting very keen on two-ring sliders, and the first thing I've learned about them is that the obvious place to put the upper ring is too high up; you hold back and it lays flat. Longer stems and/or lower top rings seem the way forward - but it is apparently not a new discovery - what ever is?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”