how to fish these floats?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mark_N
Bleak

how to fish these floats?

Post by Mark_N »

hi all,

I have some Harcork floats in my collection but I am curious as to what type of float they are and how to fish them.

I did think they were Avon's but the yellow ones look too short and the orange one's body is too long.

Can anyone help please?

thanks in advance

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: how to fish these floats?

Post by Match Aerial »

The two floats, right and middle would be what I would use in faster flowing water, Maybe the smaller one of the two in a shallow fast swim.
The larger long slim one on the left is a little more difficult to determine, you could probably use it like a stick float, shotted down to the tip in smooth running water or you could also probably use the same float on a Stillwater dotted right down.

Its hard to get a scale size of the floats from your photo so I could be way off with my suggestions .
Hope that helps
MA

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

I agree with Match Aerial it is not easy without some sort of scale but I think he is right as far as we can tell. When those floats were made they were often just floats not made for any particular sort of fishing but made to attract anglers to buy which was so often the case.

Albert47
Dace

Post by Albert47 »

The orange float is called a Thames float.The other two are designed to carry a fair amount of shot on faster flowing rivers.

Mark_N
Bleak

Post by Mark_N »

Thanks for the replies so far. Hopefully the attached will help the scale question.

I did wonder if the orange one was a Thames float, I remember my dad talking about Thames floats, but I've never seen one.
Being similar to an Avon, I assume that I should fish these in the same way, would that be correct? or would the Thames one be different?
The little one confuses me too, it seems quite short for a running water float.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

That's better Mark
The long thin float in my opinion is a float to use in deep slow moving water.
It reminds me of a topper in some ways.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I think the Thames style floats were designed for 'swimming the stream' as opposed to trotting downstream.

In other words the cast was made to upstream of your sitting position and the float allowed to 'swim the stream' by raising the rod as it approached you in order to keep in contact with it, and then once level with your position it is lowered again to allow the float downstream. I believe this style of fishing suited the long rods and tiny brass or wooden drum reels of the time. I could be wrong about all of the above, but if so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to correct me :read:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Interesting stuff Wagtail.

MA

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Match Aerial wrote:Interesting stuff Wagtail.

MA
Interesting indeed...

Could this be why we refer to our chosen spot as 'Swim' ?

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Crucian wrote:
Match Aerial wrote:Interesting stuff Wagtail.

MA
Interesting indeed...

Could this be why we refer to our chosen spot as 'Swim' ?
Almost certainly Crucian,don't forget early pins were called swimming reels. :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”