What colour floats do you prefer?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mark_N
Bleak

What colour floats do you prefer?

Post by Mark_N »

I've been fishing 30 or 40 years and in all this time I've nearly always used orange or red tipped floats.
Indeed even now, my box only has 3 or 4 non red/orange floats, these are ones like Harcorks that I have decided to leave in their original plumage.

I've read my Billy Lane et al and I know that we should use different colors in different conditions.
I've tried this but it has never worked for me, I always go back to orange because I see it much better.

I'm interested what colour do you all prefer? or do you use different ones in different conditions?

Apologies if this has been a previous thread but I couldn't find one.

Mark
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Trevor
Eel

Re: What colour floats do you prefer?

Post by Trevor »

You can't beat a red tipped float...

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

A black top is unbeatable in daylight when the background water is white or light silvery.

The number of occasions when black is best is amazing, especially on still waters. :tea:
niceroach

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

To paraphrase ZZTop ... "every angler crazy 'bout a red dressed float" ... unless it's overcast ... or extremely bright ... or I'm facing east or west or north or south depending on the time of day ... Oh Poo ... yellow ... orange ... red ... black ... I love 'em all (in the right lighting conditions). :Wink:

If I could only take one ??? Red.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Fluorescent orange was the favourite coloured tip for Dick Walker and I have to agree with him. Billy Lane preferred black or white to any other, and I do like a nice white bone tip but painted white tips no thanks!

And if painted the paint has to be fluorescent no matter what colour ( bar black of course). Helps avoid eye strain.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Trevor wrote:You can't beat a red tipped float...
Have to agree with Trevor.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Black and white for me, but what I do is colour my floats red or orange and just slide some white or black silicon rubber over the float tip. It takes minutes to do but avoids a lot of eye strain.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Fluorescent orange for me most of the time although black is surprisingly good as well.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

What Paul says.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Since I have been mucking around with cured quill is surprising how far you can trott these and still see them, even with my ageing sight, although I do like a blob of red :Wink:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”