Terry Eustace Pro Gold Line

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Terry Eustace Pro Gold Line

Post by Beresford »

I've used this line for a good few years now for my carp fishing. By the summer I end up having to play fish through lily pads and this line has only broken on two occasions. I switched to another popular brand briefly but quickly went back to the Pro Gold.

This year I want to load an Altex, Mitchell 300 and a pin with the line so only need a 550 yards spool but I can't find anybody selling anything less than 1000m. An email to a couple of mail order shops didn't get any response nor did an email to the manufacturer. So I have a number of questions which I'd welcome your thoughts on:

• If I buy a 1000m spool if I store it in a dark cool place will the 500 yards I have remaining be good for next year?

• Anybody know of a shop that has 550 yards spools in stock as I can't find one?

• Then a question that got me thinking. I love Pro Gold as it is super abrasion resistant. I've used the 10lb line in the past but read a test on the line which found it was breaking at about 13lbs. Now matching that to a MkIV Carp rod the rule of thumb used to be something like 10lbs being the upper safe breaking strain so should I be using a lighter stated weight, say 8lb line which will break closer to 10lbs to ensure my rod is adequately protected? I'm a bit nervous of going down due to the pads I have to contend with. I do have two rods that are stronger than the MkIV with which I'm not concerned about using 10lb line that breaks at 13b but then I suddenly need two spools and end up with 2000m of line.

I think I'm going mad – anybody any pearls of wisdom on this before I go and buy far more than I need? (I won't buy Maxima as I don't get on with it!)
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Terry Eustace Pro Gold Line

Post by Dave Burr »

Yes, Pro Gold will keep for several seasons in a dark, dry place. In fact, the line on my spools keeps fresh longer than any other line I've used.

It is getting harder to find Pro Gold - I hope it's not going out of production - I cannot find any 550yrd spools either

Last season I tried the Pro Tough which is a white line and super abrasion resistant. Instead of 10lb I was using 8lb and never found it wanting. This could be the answer you have been looking for.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Dave,

Many thanks. I think your response is enough to tempt me into trying a spool of 8lb. The notion of the more supple and perhaps also more subtle Pro Clear is tempting but the reports I've read seem to be at conflicting ends of the spectrum as to how abrasion resistant it actually is.

Like you a really hope Pro Gold isn't going out of production. It would be maddening if it did – sod's law that having found line, in which I have total confidence, for it then to disappear.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I use 16 lb Pro Gold Clear for surface carp fishing in seriously snaggy conditions.
When hooks lock on to thick willow branches and I have to pull for a break it takes a very considerable effort to break this line.
I have just bought my second 1000metre spool of it, the previous one lasted me about four years. When the line on my reel spool was getting a bit low I would just add about another 50 metres on.
I keep the line in the garage, havent noticed any deterioration over time.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Provided line has NEVER been stored in sunlight (in the tackleshop?) then kept in the dark at room temperature it will last decades. I was tying hooks this week using line from a spool that belonged to a late mate. Seeing as how he died 14 years ago that line is at least 15 years old and as good as new and one spool I have of very fine (rarely used) line is 40 years old and still OK. I bought up boxes of Daiwa harrier many years ago when it went out of production and still all OK. Once a line is on a reel and has been used then it will deterioriate.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”