Bernard Sealey Hook to Silk

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Bernard Sealey Hook to Silk

Post by AshbyCut »

Just arrived with me is this interesting size 18 hook to No. 6 drawn silk.

This is particularly interesting because the rods I have are labelled as made at either "Tudor Works, Lodge Road, Redditch" or "Tudor Works, Marsden Road, Redditch," and the only other hook packets I have bear the address "Tudor Works, Marsden Road, Redditch" ...

Image Image

... but this packet bears the address "Kirkland Works, Grove Street, Redditch," the first reference I've seen to this address. More investigation needed !!!!!

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Bernard Sealey Hook to Silk

Post by Harry H »

Here you go they appear in the phone book at Kirkland works from 1948-54 :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Harry H wrote:Here you go they appear in the phone book at Kirkland works from 1948-54 :Hat:
That's wonderful information Harry, Sir !!! Deeply grateful. :Hat:

It's interesting to Google Earth the addresses ... and find that Marsden Road and Lodge Road are residential streets which run parallel with each other 90 yards apart ... and Grove Street (now redeveloped to include the Police Station and the Courthouse) is only 100 yards away from the north end of those two streets.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Your 'phone research is always so helpful Harry :Hat:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

AshbyCut wrote:
Harry H wrote:Here you go they appear in the phone book at Kirkland works from 1948-54 :Hat:
That's wonderful information Harry, Sir !!! Deeply grateful. :Hat:

It's interesting to Google Earth the addresses ... and find that Marsden Road and Lodge Road are residential streets which run parallel with each other 90 yards apart ... and Grove Street (now redeveloped to include the Police Station and the Courthouse) is only 100 yards away from the north end of those two streets.
Forgot to add in 1951 is listed as Bernard Jr Sealey,second generation?
Also 54-82 at the Marsden road address couldn't find anything for lodge road but then again I didn't look at every year,any idea of year?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

They were still around in 1982???!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:They were still around in 1982???!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
It was in 1982 that Bernard's grandson, the second Robert Sealey, sold the company and moved to The Isle of Man.

I don't know who it was sold to.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Mal :Hat: , bet you're glad that it wasn't on the end of your line earlier today :eyebrow:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wagtail wrote:Mal :Hat: , bet you're glad that it wasn't on the end of your line earlier today :eyebrow:
I'd have been even MORE confident, Sir !!! :Hahaha:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”