What are these floats for...?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: What are these floats for...?

Post by Mark »

What a lovely selection Snape. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

They look like a Billy Lane 'Trent Trotter' type float to me. Very similar to a Chubber, but fished bottom end only for less disturbance on the strike in fast, shallow water.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hi Chaps,
These are my Whitehouse floats made for me from 1993 & 2000. I think that when he was making floats he was arguably the best maker in England.
Has that baton now been handed on to Andrew Field?
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

Lovely floats and I would have to agree with the general concensus that they are chubber orientated, the problem with float makers is that we all add our own way of doing things or changing body shapes and the float goes through that many variations that it looses it original identity at times.

CP put that they look like the Billy lane Trent trotter but if you look at Billy's floats they dont resemble the one shown at all, but that doesn't say that they weren't designed for the same job just depends who the maker was and what he intended them for.
trent.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Actually Billy Lane didn't quite fish those floats bottom end only..he fished them with the line BOTH sides of the float joined together by one big split-shot.

It all came about when he broke the stem of an Avon float by mistake, he wrote.

He fished the remaining body as I've indicated and won a match catching tiny roach in a very shallow peg. He also produced a larger version called the Trout Trotter.

Both were indeed intended as extreme shallow water floats.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”