Anyone use Braid

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Aquaerial
Chub

Re: Anyone use Braid

Post by Aquaerial »

Bob Brookes wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:09 pm I usually use braid for floater fishing for carp for the simple reason that it gives be a more direct contact and it floats, so no Mucilin required. I use it for drop shot fishing for perch as you can feel every pluck as Santiago says. I sometimes use it in heavier breaking strains for my pike/zander fishing.
Same here, its a case of matching & balancing as always. It will cut through weed too which can be a real benefit on some of the pits I fish for bream. Remember you can always use a mono leader if you feel your rod is not soft enough for the quarry.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Only used it once. Lost a good fish on rocks, never again.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Actually, and I'll be controversial if you see it that way. To say you will never use it is rather self defeating as if you ever get the chance to drifter float fish on a big water take it as its fantastic fun. Braid will allow you to set a hook safely in a pike or zander at distances you will struggle with on mono. Before you say its a modern method and you would not do it I have been doing it on a 14ft cane Salmon rod & pin for years and before the excellent drifter floats were available either used my own version or a balloon before striking it off. I would not use the latter now but that was 30 years ago.
Tin hat,
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

No tin hat required. Old lines were treated to float - silk ones I believe usually. That's why there were line driers?

Them came a terylene type material in the 50's by ICI who followed that with Luron- a monofilament fishing line.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Really horrible if tangled! Most times one has to resort to snippers. I now cast much more carefully with braid compared to nylon.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, I went over to 30lb braid for carp fishing and to 6lb for trotting. But you do need a soft, through-actioned rod for the carp fishing, not a 2.5lb distance casting tool.....you probably already have one for the trotting anyway.

Since making the change I haven't lost a big carp ( famous last words.......)

And on the river it is a delight...it lifts off the water to mend the line so easily, it strikes quickly at a distance and is so limp it is just perfect on a centrepin.

Yes, it can cut you and it can cut fish...just use it sensibly.

Some Clubs have banned it but its the sort of banning that isn't thought through properly....if one angler is hurting fish in his clumsiness, ban him*....not the other 200 anglers from using

I can honestly say I have never hurt a fish with it except for one occasion when a 15 carp shot 6 yards deep into the rushes. I got him out, but the hook had opened up alarmingly and he had a two inch nick from the line on his cheek, not deep but it bothered me. My answer was not to fish that spot again...everyone else who fished there got broken off, the owner told me.

* Not really, of course, but he does need guidance.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The 2.5 t/c rod is a pretty rare item nowadays! More like 3 - 3.5 t/c! Obviously not cane - or even glass. Barbel rods are 1.75 - 2.25!

JAA

Post by JAA »

Nobby wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:48 am

I can honestly say I have never hurt a fish with it except for one occasion when a 15 carp shot 6 yards deep into the rushes. I got him out, but the hook had opened up alarmingly and he had a two inch nick from the line on his cheek, not deep but it bothered me. My answer was not to fish that spot again...everyone else who fished there got broken off, the owner told me.

* Not really, of course, but he does need guidance.
I've used mainline braid in this way and then tied 'hook-link' braid directly to the end, using an albright. That way, the braid 'next' to the fish is 'non' cutting as it were.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”