Hinged floats?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mike Jordan
Minnow

Hinged floats?

Post by Mike Jordan »

IMG_20170320_110827-736x1312.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Re: Hinged floats?

Post by Wagtail »

Probably Allcocks retailed, I have one almost identical and think it is their 'Pendant' float. There were other styles too including the Tru-Bite which had two bodies
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

TFF member Olly posted "There is a 'Pendant' Combination Float described in Allcocks 1967 Guide; 'with cork buoy hinged on porcupine stem'.
Item no: J160. Cork size either 1in & 1/8th or 1in & 5/8ths - sold at 2/6 or 2/7 each (inc P.T)" in this thread from 2013 which also shows the "True-Bite" float :-

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=7455&p=150851&hili ... nt#p150851

Here are some of the examples I have in my float box :-

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Each are listed in both the '67 and '68 catalogues and illustrated in the latter one. Am off out in a minute, I'll try to do a scan of the relevant pages and post it on this thread tomorrow evening
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I found after that post this:- http://www.goldmedalfloats.co.uk/hingedwag.html

So the idea continues!

A Mullock's picture - I hope!
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auct ... f60189a251

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Having revisited this topic I can see an advantage in a dead bait hinged float!

It can either rise and drop flat on a take when the bait is picked up.

Or if the top part is lying on the water and a ledger weight is used, the top rising upwards being more visible.

I cannot recall seeing one like this - but could be wrong?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I bet they are a bitch when there is a windy chop on the water, I should imagine the top would swing up and down like a good un if the bait was anchored to the bottom.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Why use a float at all - in a windy chop? I use a swim feeder full of chopped fish then - leaves a great scent trail. Bring on the wind!

I usually ledger up to 50m + on the still waters I fish. But do dead bait close in on canals and rivers.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Well my scanner doesn't want to play ball so I've had to photograph the pages. Hope these are of use to someone :Hat:

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

'Profundis', another example of old school Latin in tackle description. Also it seems to be an example of a slider where the line runs through the body of the float rather than either the bottom ring (Lane/Heaps style) or both the bottom ring and a side ring as the old-style Nottingham sliders did.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”