Vintage Fair Treasure

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Vintage Fair Treasure

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello everyone! Picked up this little lot today at Cranborne Vintage Fair in Cranborne garden centre for £4. As you can imagine I am really pleased. Love the Brooke bond tea cards the whole set with some doublers, hook to nylons, the barrel leads are from Woolworths, I am assuming the The "ELFIN float is the one in the middle of the winder? I'm still smiling now. I will look for information about the items. Some of the tackle is probably a bit before my fishing days that started in the early 70s. Any information would be gratefully appreciated and I thank you for your time.

:Hat:

DSC_2136 s.jpg
DSC_2131 s.jpg
DSC_2134 s.jpg
]
DSC_2132 s.jpg
20170820_143938 .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reedling
Catfish

Re: Vintage Fair Treasure

Post by Reedling »

Blimey that is a lovely little haul for £4 I bet you were well chuffed as you walked away with that lot. I love the little ally bait tin and the split shot sliding tin, they remind me so much of my childhood. Your floats look nice on the winder and those old hook packets would look nice set up in a little display. Keep at it and hope you find loads more vintage tackle bargains. :Thumb:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Very nice selection of treasure :Happy: a real bargain for that price . Very nice ally bait tin .

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Nice little haul Tonytoned. Always like the art work on old hook packets and nothing better than a perforated alloy tin for those worms.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Thank you Reedling, Keston and Stour Otter. Yeah I think I was quite lucky. It also came a half decent hand line too. Been searching around the Web. Found some images of ELFIN floats which do look similar in colour but there are a few different styles, the body of the float slides off so you can thread the line though and trap it, saves using a float cap I suppose. The bait tin looks like it hasn't been cleaned inside for a while, it still has the fine saw dust you use to get when buying maggots in the 70s (red in colour), it also has that old maggoty smell. There is an old plummet with the cork in the bottom it in the old tobacco tin. Good suggestion about displaying the hook to nylons, will definitely frame the cards.

. :holmes:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

It's great to reminisce.

:fishing1:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

4 pounds well spent Sir!! I love the Woolworths packet, brought back some lovely memory. :Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Paul D wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:25 pm 4 pounds well spent Sir!! I love the Woolworths packet, brought back some lovely memory. :Hat:
Thank you kind sir. That's where my parents got my first rod and reel back in 1971. Then my friends father took us to Woodmill. The lower stretch of the River Itchen (Hampshire) before it becomes tidal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The green and white bodied float isn't an Elfin, but a French-made float marketed by most of the tackle trade under different names, I believe. The Brooke Bond cards are what got me interested in fishing so long, long ago...mid-Fifties I think!

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Nobby wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 am The green and white bodied float isn't an Elfin, but a French-made float marketed by most of the tackle trade under different names, I believe. The Brooke Bond cards are what got me interested in fishing so long, long ago...mid-Fifties I think!
Thank you Nobby, that is interesting about the flloat, I will keep an eye out for an Elfin float. Yeah the cards are lovely, the art work is superb. I picked up British birds too complete in the book with the Robin on the front.

:Hat:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”