Drennan Double Strength

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Drennan Double Strength

Post by Mark »

I have purchased a spool of 6lb Drennan Double Strength to try out on a reel at the weekend. I have never used this reel line before so can any of you recommend it, is it as good as they say in the reviews.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Drennan Double Strength

Post by Santiago »

I guess you'll be using a centrepin! Ideally one uses such line on a fixed spool reel with the clutch set lightly, because of the low stretch. Moreover, a through action rod is also recommended, so avoid using on rods with a test curve above 11/4lb. Otherwise it can snap like cotton. Not a line for bullying fish or near feed and snags, because the low stretch means one requires one to allow the fish to run ; especially carp and barbel. I used the stuff once! Possibly better as a hooklink than a main line.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I am thinking about trying it out on a Mitchell 300 for the chub Trevor.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Just to add a little to what Santiago says from my own experience. The key to using this line is taking great care with knot selection and tying. I used it as a hook length a good while ago, but switched to other low diameter lines which I thought performed better. Since then Drennan seemed to have improved its performance a bit and I suspect it's now on a par with the competition. Knots to use are either the palomar or the grinner (I prefer the grinner but that's just a personal thing). If you're going to tie it to some other line I found using either a mini swivel or a rig ring gave a very strong, reliable connection. Two reliable knots are better than one dodgy one. These low diameter, low stretch lines work fine as a reel line on a cane rod (I think WB Clarke Match Team is the best by the way) but they aren't very durable and you need to change it at least twice a season if you use it regularly. Cutting back the last foot or so after catching a carp or a barbel is also sensible as once the knots are stressed they seem to loose some strength.

It should be fine for a chub line Mark - that's the fishing I use Match Team line for: either trotting or ledgering.
Last edited by SeanM on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I've mentioned it before Mark but I found it horrible stuff, as Trevor so rightly says it can (and will) snap without warning, I lost a good Barbel due to it letting go as the fish made a lunge at the net.
I honestly wouldn't risk it mate especially as your river is much like mine ... :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I wouldn't rely on a 300's clutch when using 6lb double strength Mark. I may use it as a hooklink but never a main line, it just doesn't have the abrasion resistance of so many other lines. To be honest, if you are using 6lb line in my opinion, no chub is going to spook at the sight of it.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

It has its uses as a long hooklength I used to use the ten and twelve pound versions for floater fishing but it's not a line you would want to be putting shot onto.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Dreadful stuff. I wouldn't risk fishing with it and am amazed it's still sold. I tried it for both trout fishing and coarse fishing. As noted above it has no resilience at all and has utterly woeful knot strength.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

JAA

Post by JAA »

Beresford wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm Dreadful stuff. I wouldn't risk fishing with it and am amazed it's still sold. I tried it for both trout fishing and coarse fishing. As noted above it has no resilience at all and has utterly woeful knot strength.
Like most pre-stretched mono, it's lacks elasticity as they've pulled it out and the trouble is, that the elasticity is also across the line's diameter (mono is homogeneous) so once pre-stretched line is compressed in a knot it 'necks' or is made even thinner in other words...

My guess is that with nice stretchy pole elastic, it's probably tolerable stuff to use. I'll never use pre-stretched mono again that's for sure.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I use Maxima for just about everything it never lets me down. Daiwa sensor is supposed to be good why not give that a try if you want to try a new line.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”