One Zephyr float... or three?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

One Zephyr float... or three?

Post by Wagtail »

Amongst some floats lurking in the bottom of a box of tackle bought at a boot sale were these three little darlings.

One is a Zepyr 6" (it says so on the side), but are the other two Zephyrs as well? No name on them but made from paper rolled around fine cane stems. Any thoughts Gents? :Hat:

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: One Zephyr float... or three?

Post by Paul F »

no, the other 2 are home made Alex, the one you have is a scarce match float, very delicate :Wink:

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

I am by no means an expert but i think the other 2 are homemade floats
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

I would say 1 the other 2's wraps look too wide apart,nice find though :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Paul F wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:37 pm the one you have is a scarce match float, very delicate :Wink:
Which is why I was amazed to find it in one piece as it was loose at the bottom of a large plastic storage box with all sorts of other tackle, boxes and tins rattling around on top of it :Thumb:

Gents thanks for your input, I wondered if they were home made, or if the quality control at Zephyr deteriorated as time went on!

Cheers :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Wagtail some time ago I picked up a box of bits and pieces with a zephyr float inside. In the box were another couple of floats that I then assumed were Zephyrs also but were told they were home made. They look similar to yours...

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Reedling wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:17 pm Wagtail some time ago I picked up a box of bits and pieces with a zephyr float inside. In the box were another couple of floats that I then assumed were Zephyrs also but were told they were home made. They look similar to yours...

:drool: a very nice periscope model :Thumb:

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

I do love the rustic homemade look of older floats - good enough for the job in hand but not so perfect you'd be afraid to use them.
You can imagine the person that made them sat with the paintbrush in an evening stocking up their tackle box, studying the commercial ones to design their own - as a traditional angler that does the same it sort of connects you to the people that made them.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Thanks Reedling :Hat:

Perhaps there was an amateur Zephyr copier working somewhere :Chuckle:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”