Glass Devon Minnows Help Required.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Fredline
Tench

Glass Devon Minnows Help Required.

Post by Fredline »

I was going to take these 3 glass Devon minnows to Redditch next week and realised I know absolutely nothing about them or their potential worth. They are 1 ½” long and beautifully made. Can anyone in TFFLand shed any light on these please?ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Glass Devon Minnows Help Required.

Post by Lea Dweller »

They look very interesting John, I have not seen any before. I am sure that someone will have some information on this forum though! Nice float by the way!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

They're look great and I suspect they're quite rare. And the float looks great with the bone /ivory tip?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

As I said in my previous response, I have not seen any devon minnows made from glass before, but I did find a reference that stated that in the mid 1890's Hardy began marketing a "transparent amber" version which was made from a hard but brittle glass-like material. I am not suggesting that there is a connection, but in theory I suppose you can make devon minnows from a whole range of materials, glass or even crystal being examples?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I remember seeing some of these in a tackle shop at Scarborough, that would be in the early 1960s. They may have been a little bit larger than those, they also had some lovely traditional shaped floats in coloured glass and I thought at the time they were just advertising or maybe cabinet display items. There is no reason why they couldn't be used of course..

Wal.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

How unusual to see something like this made of glass, I wonder if they were made for use or for a promotional display of some sort as it is a bit fragile for the use intended I would have thought. Mind you, I am thinking, many may have broke in use and in tackle boxes so very few about. I would keep them and frame them up, very nice indeed. Just had a thought, they could be items made from end of day glass, sometimes glass blowers used to make items from glass left over at the end of their days work. see Friggers or end of day glass on Google.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

No idea of value John but they are lovely!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

The float is a Homers Thames style float that is fished with the line threaded through the hollow celluloid centre and stopped with the whalebone plug. The plugs are nearly always missing and a friend who makes scale model Panzer tanks, don't ask, made the one shown with the float. You would be hard pushed to tell the difference. The plugs shown are before they are cleaned up.Image
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Further to my reply about seeing them at Scarborough, it might actually have been at Whitby as we often went fishing there as kids during the school holidays.
There is a glass blower there who made small glass items for the tourist trade, mainly selling Lucky Ducks but I do remember watching him through the shop window making small animals and other small glass items like spinning tops.
It is just a possibility I saw them in his window or maybe he made fishing related items for one of the local tackle shops.

The shop is still going and it might be worth asking if anyone still works there who remembers the early years.

http://luckyducks.tcchold.com/index.html

Wal.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”