Reed floats.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Reed floats.

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends,would it be better to have a long cane section that went the whole way through the reed say 2mm dia and giving a section of the cane at each end coming out for the tip and for the ring at the bottom,or would this affect the bouncy. The cane would be glued at both ends to stop any water getting in.Next to paint the tip and whip a ring on the bottom and then varnish .Thank you Reelmaker.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Reed floats.

Post by Santiago »

Absolutely no need for such a contraption. Just a few mm length of cane at either or both ends will suffice!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Cane all the way through would make them heavy, I use cane at each end for robustness, if you fish them waggler style then reed tops are fine, although cane tops will make the float more sensitive.

JW

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Many years ago I made a float by using cane and wrapping greaseproof paper around it as in a paper float ,this was advice on the net by a well-known angler ,but the weight of one of the materials just caused the float to sink ,so this is why I put up this question to fellow members

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I done the same thing with rolled paper floats Reelmaker and it would just not hold any appreciable shot, so I made my floats hollow with a section of cane at both ends and it worked a treat. If you leave the body of the norfolk reed hollow you have the benefit of buoyancy if needed.
Last edited by Reedling on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Thanks everyone, I will take your advice ,I will make them with inserts top and bottom as suggested .Reelmaker

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”