Unusual split shot

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Unusual split shot

Post by Duckett »

After trying just about every brand of modern shot, I find that Anchor Double Cut are the easiest to position and remove. Not the rugby ball shaped ones though. I can’t explain why, and it may be my imagination, but the green coloured ones seem to be the softest.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I've looked long and hard at these unusual items - I wonder if they might be tips to arrows/bolts for knocking down small prey as people in other countries could legally do? They certainly look like they would sit at an odd angle on a line and possibly cause line twist. Outside bet maybe........?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I’ve started to use brass rod that you can buy in B&Q, cut to various lengths and sharp edges smoothed with wet n dry. Held to the line with silicone tube. I’ve been meaning to post this on here with pictures for ages.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think these leads could originally be a form of bifurcated rivet or maybe a crimp on anti tamper seal for gas meters etc.
I have had loads of lead weights that came in various tins or bags over the years and I doubt if any of them were really intended as fishing weights.

Wal.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:35 am I’ve started to use brass rod that you can buy in B&Q, cut to various lengths and sharp edges smoothed with wet n dry. Held to the line with silicone tube. I’ve been meaning to post this on here with pictures for ages.
Was this influenced by Mark Everard's nails Phil? It is a good idea to have a long, solid weight when trotting I suppose, never got around to trying it though.

What I do dislike about modern lead alternative weights is that anything below a BB is likely to ping off during the fight or should you hit weed etc. I get through loads of the little beggers during a day's trotting unless you hammer them to the line..... which will then break.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:02 am
Tengisgol wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:35 am I’ve started to use brass rod that you can buy in B&Q, cut to various lengths and sharp edges smoothed with wet n dry. Held to the line with silicone tube. I’ve been meaning to post this on here with pictures for ages.
Was this influenced by Mark Everard's nails Phil? It is a good idea to have a long, solid weight when trotting I suppose, never got around to trying it though.

What I do dislike about modern lead alternative weights is that anything below a BB is likely to ping off during the fight or should you hit weed etc. I get through loads of the little beggers during a day's trotting unless you hammer them to the line..... which will then break.
That’s exactly right Dave, I have long thought about Mark’s masonry nail approach but they’re a bugger to cut and then you still need to file the edges and paint them. You can see one in the picture below.

I was fed up when I saw the price of a pot of SSG in the tackle shop and that got me thinking. So I had a rummage in B&Q and came up with this idea. The brass rod won’t rust, is easy to cut and file and still quite cheap for a metre length. No reason why these can’t be used as weights in light link ledgers either although at the moment I have only used them for float fishing with weight down.

I did try steel rod first as you can see but (doh) that’s no good for obvious reasons. I expect the brass to fade as they age and did think about putting them in vinegar to dull them.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tengisgol wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:15 am
Dave Burr wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:02 am

That’s exactly right Dave, I have long thought about Mark’s masonry nail approach but they’re a bugger to cut and then you still need to file the edges and paint them. You can see one in the picture below.

I was fed up when I saw the price of a pot of SSG in the tackle shop and that got me thinking. So I had a rummage in B&Q and came up with this idea. The brass rod won’t rust, is easy to cut and file and still quite cheap for a metre length. No reason why these can’t be used as weights in light link ledgers either although at the moment I have only used them for float fishing with weight down.

I did try steel rod first as you can see but (doh) that’s no good for obvious reasons. I expect the brass to fade as they age and did think about putting them in vinegar to dull them.

That looks like a very good and cheap alternative to SSG that is currently trading at just below the price of Rhino horn. To colour stones when used for weights, I used tea. Would that work with brass? Any chemists please comment.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Nobby wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 pm I recently bought a British 'shot and caps' cast carrier with four quill floats on that are probably French.

Inside the storage chamber were these split shot. Remarkably they still open and close...and a darn sight easier than what we use today...even if they aren't as aerodynamic.....

But no one I have asked has ever seen anything like them before...so, are they British or French, I wonder?
I saw some just like that at a Brocante in the Correze which suggests that they are French. I guess they wouldn't be legal in the UK as they're made of lead.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, nice to know....I thought the floats were French, so that makes sense.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”