coffin weights

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
St.John
Tench

coffin weights

Post by St.John »

I've used these since I was about nine. I love 'em, but for some reason I don't see people using them much. I know ol' Dick invented the Arsley bomb, but when was the coffin weight first used?!....... I'm guessing the 50s.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Snape
Bailiff

Re: coffin weights

Post by Snape »

It is funny how they have gone so much out of favour. I think I have some somewhere but I haven't used them since I was a boy.
Do you use them in fast water mostly?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

I remember using them sea fishing but haven't seen them around for years.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Snape wrote:It is funny how they have gone so much out of favour. I think I have some somewhere but I haven't used them since I was a boy.
Do you use them in fast water mostly?
Yeah, on the wye. Thing is, they have a low profile, and as well as being a little more snag resistant, I find I can use a much later weight as they stick rather well.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

St J

See Arlesey Lake thread to see that Dick did not invent the Arlesey bomb

Mike

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I'll be damned! Always thought he did!

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

I use them, but not on rivers. I found if you slide one up the line and put a leger stop made from a piece of c0cktail stick plugged into some shrink tube (or biro tube) you can plug the end of the stick into the hole in the lead - hey presto, a semi-fixed bolt rig (cue gasps of horror from the purists!)

A few years ago, when I was a member of the Yateley syndicate, one of the bailiffs showed me a rig he uses almost exclusively, and he catches a lot of carp from there. It's simplicity itself; a piece of fake (buoyant) corn mounted directly onto a strong, small hook tied to the reel line, with a coffin lead stopped about three or four feet above the hook by two rubber float stops. Another stop is placed six inches above the lead to create a back-stop/shock effect. The weight of the hook only just counters the buoyant corn, and the whole lot is dropped into the weed. The lead sinks through it, and the bait wafts slowly down to rest on top. A handful of corn thrown around it and the trap's set.

Not every modern carp angler is besotted with complicated rigs. Some of them are damned smart.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

That very similar to one I use. Nice and simple. St.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Haven't yet found any very early dates for the coffin lead but have found this that may be of interest.
What I knew as watch leads [in sea fishing] was patented by M F Blake and F C Brown on 12th November 1904. The patent says......
"The disc is fitted with conical studs on each side, which embed in the bottom to prevent drifting, and with a central aperture to prevent spinning when being raised or lowered".

There is little that is new in fishing..........

Mike

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”