Pike Wire Traces

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Pike Wire Traces

Post by Mark »

Thanks chaps.

How do you hook a dead bait, do you prefer two singles hooks spaced out or just the one hook.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Circle hooks. An interesting idea and I believe you mustn't strike with them but leave the run long enough for the bait to be taken properly (maybe even swallowed) and then wind in and the circle hook only catches when it reaches the scissors. Is this right?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

This is the rig I use for deadbaits. I tie the trace wire 'knotless knot' style to a size 2/0 Gold Label Carp and Catfish Penetrator hook, leaving a long tag-end (hair).
I then double over the tag-end and crimp on an oval ring. I incorporate some tubing to give the 'circle hook' turning effect.
The bait is attached to the rig ring via a heavy braid loop with the aid of a baiting needle. I have found it very effective, with no deep hooked fish.

I will be experimenting this year, using a small swivel in place of the rig-ring. I think this may aid the hook turning.

Isis
Perch

Post by Isis »

The strike, if you can call it that, is done as soon as you feel confident that the hook is inside the pike's jaws. You just tighten up and pull the line slowly, the hook turns as the eye leaves the jaws and sets in the scissors. You rarely need to open the jaws but just twist the hook out with your fingers. I only use one circle and hook it in the flesh in the flank of a half mackerel about half an inch down from the tail (see below)
The only time you miss out on a fish is if a small jack moves off with the bait, hasn't turned it and the tail and hook are left outside the jaws. In that case you only feel the pluck as the hook pulls through the small bit of flesh on the mackerel.
Usually the pike just hoover up the bait and I'm pulling into fish within a few seconds of a run being first registered. I have never deep hooked a pike when using circles and only hooked them inside the mouth on a few occasions.

Below is pic I took of an old trace. The mackerel was about to be cast out when I spotted a regurgitated fish from the previous pike. Took the pic to highlight it's normal diet.

BlackSheep

Post by BlackSheep »

I do not use a 'circle' hook, although i will look into them shortly, i pretty much employ the same tactic as isis but using a size 1/0 hook instead of a 'circle'.

One thing that does irk me though with pike fishing traces is the relatively poor quality of trace wire. I am running out of my beloved Berkley trace wire, it was stopped being made many seasons ago, and i cannot find a suitable substitute.

I have tried many different market leading brands but am unhappy with most of them and that includes some of the coated wire.....................

What are you lot using?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I'm using Drennan 7 strand 20lb pike wire but like you blacksheep I would like to know what others are using and they think is the best on the market.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I'm looking to buy some hooks, would these be recommended.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fladen-Circle ... 4607c15eeb
Mark (Administrator)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

As I understand it a circle hook will not even catch if the pike completely swallows the bait until it reaches the scissors or the edge of the jaw when it turns and catches.
Sounds good in principle.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

I have in recent years used circles, prior to that I have often used ordinary singles since the early 70’s where we discovered on Marlow weir that a lip hooked live bait on a single was taken instantly as it hit the bottom on a rolling ledger. Striking straight away resulted in, as others have stated, a fish hooked in the scissors – we didn't even use traces in those days.

in my opinion if there is no one home when you strike it is usually a jack that would also be missed on trebles – a decent pike has the fish in their mouth from the start and there is no need to let it ‘run’ for any length of time.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Isis
Perch

Post by Isis »

There is another advantage to using these hooks. Have you had a pike when using a conventional two treble or one treble and one single rig and found that when drawing the fish over the rim of the landing net the top hooks are in the pike leaving a trailing treble that snags in the mesh. This has happened to me a few times in the past. If you're lucky to have deep water close in you can pull the lot towards you, plunge the net down vertically with the fish following it down then scooping it out and up. Without deep water it's an absolute nightmare.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”