So how do you store those darn hooks?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Buller
Rudd

So how do you store those darn hooks?

Post by Buller »

Does anyone have any good ideas of ways to store hook packets in a tackle bag, or alternatively, have something ideal to decant the hooks into? I find once I've opened a packet, the hooks find ways of spilling out. Does anyone have any smart ideas on this one? I know Fennel makes his own packets and labels them with Indian Ink (no smudging), but how the hell do you do this in a way that keeps the hooks where they should be and at the same time allows easy access?
Look forward to the boffins chiming in!
Bull

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: So how do you store those darn hooks?

Post by AshbyCut »

For larger hooks I make up hook lengths before trips and use a rig wallet like this :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GREEN-STI ... 3368903eaf

For smaller hooks I make up hook lengths before trips using different breaking strain line, and store them in an Efgeeco Hook Wallet like this one :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-EFGEE ... 20cc815e5c
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I use little snuff tin from eBay with a supermagnet glued inside on the bottom.

The hooks never move and blunt themselves and they never fall out.

You can sort through them with a Swiss Army knife pair of mini-tweezers that can be bought separately.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

You mean you take more than one hook? :D

Not traditional, but for some of my my hooks I use small magnetic hook boxes (not ones made by Nobby).

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I've always wondered, do hooks that have been held in a magnetic tin attract tiny particles of iron/steel from the bed of the water? I have no personal experience of this it's purely a worry that has embedded itself into my head. Probably erroneously...
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

So far none of my hooks seems to have become magnetised...don't you have to stroke a magnet up and down for that to happen, realigning the electrons, or something?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote:So far none of my hooks seems to have become magnetised...don't you have to stroke a magnet up and down for that to happen, realigning the electrons, or something?
Yes Nobby (although a magnetic material, made from iron, cobalt, nickel, may become somewhat magnetised by just being in contact with the magnet). It is groups of atoms called domains which become aligned (an electron is a dimensionless point so hard to align! :chuckle: )
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

We didn't have 'domains' when I was at school, Snape.

You lot are inventing things again!

:wink:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote:We didn't have 'domains' when I was at school, Snape.

You lot are inventing things again!

:wink:
I didn't think the electron had been discovered either. Weren't you still on the 'plum pudding' model of the atom! :chuckle: :sarcasm: :wink:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

It is possible to impart some slight degree of magnetism to a ferrous metal by banging it too. Tap the end of a screwdriver and try it :)

If the magnetic hook boxes do not 'greatly' magnetise a hook then it might be useful to make some leather wallets with thin strip 'craft' magnets to hold the hooks. I may have a supply of decent sized pieces of soft leather ;) If it comes off I'll let you all know.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”