So how do you store those darn hooks?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: So how do you store those darn hooks?

Post by AshbyCut »

From my physics lesson memories of the '60's ... doesn't hammering destroy magnetism ?

(As a man of very little brain, I can feel headache starting already.)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

AshbyCut wrote:From my physics lesson memories of the '60's ... doesn't hammering destroy magnetism ?

Yes, banging, hammering, dropping permanent magnets causes the domains to unalign and so loss the magnetism.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark Salt

Post by Mark Salt »

Are fish sensitive to magnetic force? Could magnetic hooks deter fish from taking your bait? Eels, in particular, are thought to navigate using magnetic fields to orientate. Some of you might be pleased to deter eels, but I am the opposite! However, if eels are aware of this, what about other fish. All that said, I use magnetic hook boxes!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Mark Salt wrote:Are fish sensitive to magnetic force?
I sense an area of possible research. If fish are to any dgeree magnetic, and their positive pole is at the mouth end ... could we magnetise hooks so that the point is negative in order top attract them ? ... or am I getting too Heath Robinson ???? :tongue:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

We used to rig electrodes, hooked up to an amplifier and speakers, in a tank of "electric "fish, to demonstrate the clicks as they put out electromagnetic pulses to find their way around. If I remember rightly, "Knife fish" (Gymnotus spp.?) politely shifted the frequency of their regular clicks , so as not to jam each other's signals; Elephant fish ( forgotten the name [googled it-Mormyrusspp.) just clicked as and when they felt like it. Lowering a magnet in turned their clicks into a buzz!
How universal this ability is among fishkind is probably still up for experimental checking.
Over on FM, someone said they had more success with hooks kept in a magnetic box than not...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Vole wrote: Over on FM, someone said they had more success with hooks kept in a magnetic box than not...
Maybe they were just sharper? :wink:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Large double blind field trial needed methinks.....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Snape wrote:
AshbyCut wrote:From my physics lesson memories of the '60's ... doesn't hammering destroy magnetism ?

Yes, banging, hammering, dropping permanent magnets causes the domains to unalign and so loss the magnetism.
Perhaps it works both ways? All I know is that it is an old mechanics trick to tap the end of a screwdriver to magnetise it slightly. Useful for picking up the odd dropped nut or bolt in an inaccessible area :)

Here's one of many articles on magnetising a screwdriver.http://www.ehow.com/how_2342156_make-sc ... agnet.html I suspect it is a bang it once to lightly magnetise it and then again to release the magnetism.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

kevanf1 wrote:
Snape wrote:

Perhaps it works both ways? All I know is that it is an old mechanics trick to tap the end of a screwdriver to magnetise it slightly. Useful for picking up the odd dropped nut or bolt in an inaccessible area :)

Here's one of many articles on magnetising a screwdriver.http://www.ehow.com/how_2342156_make-sc ... agnet.html I suspect it is a bang it once to lightly magnetise it and then again to release the magnetism.
Not overly convinced by this and I would definitely never short a car battery to try to magnetise a screw driver or anything else. :shocked:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I don't know, talk about making work and worry for yourselves, I used to just leave them in their plastic bags and hold them all together at the top with a Bulldog clip, its secure, functional and there's no need to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow. Nowadays I have one of those tough little plastic boxes with lots of compartments that take all my end tackle bits and bobs. When carp fishing I also carry a sharpening stone and jewellers eye glass to make sure the point is perfect.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”