Colin Whitehouse floats

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Weyfarer

Re: Colin Whitehouse floats

Post by Weyfarer »

This is a unique Whitehouse float that was especially crafted as the prize in an early Waterlog competition.
I was the winner! I've shown this photo before but there must be some new readers who've not seen it.
Any offers?

There are a further half dozen or so similar prize floats out there somewhere.

Andrew Field

Post by Andrew Field »

I am a big fan of Colin's floats and have been collecting them for a long time, i have over 100 of them now. I suppose they are rare and people like them so they fetch big money. I saw Weyfarer's display float before and im certain il never find one for sale so i decided to try and make one for myself. I use it as a paper weight on my desk but you will notice in the pic there's a similar one in the background i can actually fish with.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Andrew,
Very nice indeed, order already placed!
Bob

Here are a few to whet your appetites and none are plain goose quills! Some are his very early ones and none have been used in anger, sorry!
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Andrew: Simply stunning!

Bob: Cracking collection!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Andrew Field

Post by Andrew Field »

Heres a few of my ones, i have another pot full of his avons but its at the back of the cabinet, il post pics next time i drag it out. I generally swap them for my floats although i cant help but have a bid if i see them on ebay but missed the end of the last auction.

Andrew Field

Post by Andrew Field »

Tigger wrote:Blimey...deffo alot of money for a few old bird featherslol. I have bags full of macaw feathers in my sheds which would make floats every bit as good as them...I think :).
I haven't ever used Macaw quills but i have used the smaller feathers to inlay on the cork/balsa bodies.

Andrew Field

Post by Andrew Field »

I heard there's more Macaw's in captivity than in the wild, i think they live longer than humans too. I wouldn't mind a look at one of the larger quills, might make a nice float stem if they are strong enough.

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

Tigger wrote:
Andrew Field wrote:I heard there's more Macaw's in captivity than in the wild, i think they live longer than humans too. I wouldn't mind a look at one of the larger quills, might make a nice float stem if they are strong enough.

I sent George a few feathers over a couple of years back he might be able to tell you if they're any good for float making. To be honest I don't see why they wouldn't be...over the years i've shot and plucked many species of birds and they all seem pretty much the same appart from size. Saying that i'm no float maker so I can't say for certain.
Ian they feature in quite a few of my floats which I've made since you sent them to me, I made a larger bobber recently for a lad on the Annan with one on it. I also use them for my fly tying they are just the job mate for tying up coloured nymphs due to the colouration in them :wink: :wink:
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Erm...speechless. I'd have never expected such prices. A simple shredder cork with some paint and a little stem 59 quid???
I'd suggest if any of you want such floats please contact me. I will do them at half that price.... :whistle: Not meant seriously of course but
a bit crazy isn't it?
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

OldTackle wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:38 am Erm...speechless. I'd have never expected such prices. A simple shredder cork with some paint and a little stem 59 quid???
I'd suggest if any of you want such floats please contact me. I will do them at half that price.... :whistle: Not meant seriously of course but
a bit crazy isn't it?
I agree Chris, it's all about the name, imagine how much a Barder float would command?

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”