Plasticine

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Plasticine

Post by Mark »

I know Chris Yates has used standard kids plasticine as a weight replacement in the past, have any of you tried it and if so what did or do you think of it.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Plasticine

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I always carry plasticine in my bag. It makes for a great weight when stalking and by using a staple you can also create a backlead that drops off easily. I doubt if plasticine has a detrimental effect to the environment.

I got mine from Hobbycraft, decent size block for about £2.99, and they do green, beige and brown so you can mix and match it to the lake bed. Wouldn't be without it. :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I used it years ago 1970s (it probably wasn't that environmentally friendly then). It always worked ok. The problem I found was that it tainted your hands so that the bait tasted of it (even if you rinsed them off in the water)
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Rich

Post by Rich »

Hi
Plasticine has just enough casting weight to get a lump of meat out into the flow and more importantly enough weight to allow you to keep intouch with its movement as you let it roll downstream. No need to weight your hooks etc so the bait wafts naturally in the current a deadly method for both chub and barbel. It is amazingly resilient to the rigours of casting but will part company with your line if weeded causing no damage. Try it with braid you wont believe what you can feel being transmitted back to the rod! If you get board you can always craft a masterpiece!

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Rich wrote:Hi
Plasticine has just enough casting weight to get a lump of meat out into the flow and more importantly enough weight to allow you to keep intouch with its movement as you let it roll downstream. No need to weight your hooks etc so the bait wafts naturally in the current a deadly method for both chub and barbel. It is amazingly resilient to the rigours of casting but will part company with your line if weeded causing no damage. Try it with braid you wont believe what you can feel being transmitted back to the rod! If you get board you can always craft a masterpiece!

Sorry not a plug for my blog but here we are ...

http://thetuesdayswim.wordpress.com/201 ... alton-way/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Excellent video Tadpole. :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

A lovely watch Tadpole, you can plug your blog as much as you like. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Thanks Tadpole that's another blog to make time to read! Nick Fisher appeared in the River Cottage fish series programmes a year or two back, I wonder what he's up to these days?

I have used plasticine many times in the past but now prefer to freeline if at all possible.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

stalkingluke wrote:Thanks Tadpole that's another blog to make time to read! Nick Fisher appeared in the River Cottage fish series programmes a year or two back, I wonder what he's up to these days?

I have used plasticine many times in the past but now prefer to freeline if at all possible.
He lives in Dorset now, I've just picked up his River Cottage sea fishing handbook, good but I do have to raise an eyebrow at some of his advice!

SilverBirch

Post by SilverBirch »

I carry it in my bag for close in work, off the rod end often with a fly fishermans sight bob as a float. Pure freeling and feeling for bites have there place but I love to watch a small float as it often tells you that fish have entered a swim and its time to focus your attention a little more.

Carrying a range of colours offers the option of 'mixing' a piece to blend in with the bottom if the fish are particularly wary.

SB

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”