Pre-tied hooks to nylon.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Pre-tied hooks to nylon.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

How many of us here use hooks to nylon and how many tie their own? I only use them in size 16 and 18 to 2-3lb ish line. Any bigger and I generally tie hook links myself. I find hooks to nylon really reliable though and they are so quick and easy. Perhaps I'm just lazy?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

DaceAce
Eel

Re: Pre-tied hooks to nylon.

Post by DaceAce »

I've been tying my own since about 1975, at home with an old Eze-Tie machine, or on the bank with a Matchman hook tier. I use spade ends from 10s down to 24 (have tied down to 30!). I get the choice of hooks I want that way far greater than the few available ready-tied and I can choose not only the hook but also the line.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

On the rare occasions I use size 16 or 18 hooks usually for gudgeon fishing I use hook to nylon otherwise I rarely use below a size 10 hook so I tie the on.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I tie all my own. Often for a finer presentation I will use sizes 16-20 in spade end, and tie them with a Matchman Hook Tier. When feeder fishing at night I may change the hook or hooklink a dozen times for a variety of reasons, so hook to nylons are just impractical. Also, I often like to tie the hook direct to the mainline.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

In the line-up for fingers God gave me pork sausages!

Of course I use hooks to nylon, especially in the small sizes, just watch that your disgorger hasn't damaged the knot...lost a 2lb plus roach like that once......

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I acquired a load of hooks to nylon and use them when float fishing in the main, its a convenient way of carrying a selection of different weight hooklengths for one. I sometimes ditch the hook and tie on a preferable pattern especially when grayling fishing when I use the excellent Guru QM1's.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I have quite a range of pre-tied hooks to nylon from size 18 down to size 10, with breaking strains from 2lb to about 6lbs I don't use them often but its worth having a supply for when I float fish for 'smaller' species - anything from an ounce up to about 4lbs.
However most of the time I am tying a size 10, 8, or 6 direct to mainline of between 8lbs to 12lbs
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I use hook to nylon quite a lot these days as my eyes are getting worse.... there was a time when I could whip a size 28 bloodworm hook to 6oz nylon.... not any more :Cry:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I tie my own ... down to size 24, where the eyes (mine, not the hook's) give out. It is one of the little jobs that makes anticipation of a days angling so pleasurable for me.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

i tie my own with a hook tier, i tried using them but my hands are like shovels so i couldnt get them out of the packet without getting the hook length in a tangle or worse still knotted also i usually fish with hook tied direct to main line
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”