A good fine black pen?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

A good fine black pen?

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Gents,

I know this has come up before or perhaps on other forums but I'm looking for a fine black pen for writing on floats?

Can anyone recommend a brand?

Many thanks

Tadpole

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: A good fine black pen?

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Faber Castell Indian Ink art pens are good....I got mine at Hobbycraft, but probably readily available at most art shops.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Rotring Isograph 0.10mm is probably the best, but not cheap. I use them at work, so I don't have to buy one specially. However, for really fine lettering you can't beat a traditional dip pen with separate steel nib and holder, though you must always pull the nib; pushing the nib causes it to catch and can damage it, as well as resulting in spattering.

If you really want to be traditional you can always cut your pen from a crowquill, but good luck with that!

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Thanks gents, crowquill ! That taking 'traditional' a bit far, next I'll be using a magnifying glass mounted in a split cane and brass handle?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Some good tips there, I'll be on the lookout as it is something I forgot with my recent floats.....always handy to know how much shot you need
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I found a local art shop still sold plastic 'handles' to take a selection of nibs, some of them very fine indeed, and some good Indian ink. With a little running in I can just manage an upstroke when handwriting, but it helps enormously if you can hold the pen at quite a low slope to the work, which is rather what draughtmen are trained NOT to do. probably because they are normally using pens which work best when held at 90 degrees to the work.
Sadly, when I was a cartographer I didn't use a pen at all, we used printed letters mounted on beeswax....and I have completely forgotten how to do 'proper' handwriting, which is very annoying because Miss Mason gave me enough clips round the earhole all those years ago.......cow!

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:I use the extra fine end.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-NEW-SHARP ... 5d31c8a2dd
I have had a few of these over the years. Excellent! I used to use them for writing on photographic slides.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”