Great Ouse Radwell, Sharnbrook and others

This forum belongs to the River Ouse.
Haydn Clarke

Re: Great Ouse Radwell, Sharnbrook and others

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Here's a little story on the dangers of over zelous weed clearance.

This picture from my first post:

Right, About half way up the right hand side of the picture, amongst all that streamer weed and about two foot out from the bank. Right in this very spot took place by far the best fishing I've ever had at Radwell. Might not look it from that picture, and as I'm sure most will know that the river bed changes quite radically over the years, but right on that spot there used to be a small depresion in the river bed and a very small clear patch amongst that weed. One summer I managed to catch quite a few fish out that hole. The reason I enjoyed it so much...? it was crystal clear sight fishing. The fish were within five or six feet of me and it took some serious patience but with a bit of careful loose feeding they'd eventually appear from the weed further out. Just a gentle drop of the lead over the weed, then pulled back to tuck in nicely under some streamer and Robert would be your father's brother. On more than a few occasions I actually got to see the barbel mouth my baited hook, and then eventualy take the bait after several minutes of the inevitable and agonising teasing. And then because the water was so shallow the tremendous first lunges as they headed for the deeper water an heavier weed. Fantastic.

I enjoyed this for a few weeks until one day I got to the river and found a bivvied, beered and bird-ed up angler set up on that bankside. I obviously fished elsewhere that evening but the when I got back the next morning I bumped into him further down stream. He seemed nice enough and I asked him how he's got on and he seemed rather surprised that he hadn't caught nothing through the night, especially after he'd got in the river and cleared a "nice big patch of gravel". After he left I took a look at the swim...the nice big patch of gravel was the size of my van.

The end.

Literally. Never saw another fish there all season.
Last edited by Haydn Clarke on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

All those wonderful shots of a sunny river, roll on the summer.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

What a spectacle....love that shot!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

JohnL wrote:All those wonderful shots of a sunny river, roll on the summer.

Yes, John. Roll on the summer, indeed. Can't stand this weather and I don't relish the winter as some others do. Give me full-on, t-shirt off, man boobs pointing at the sky baking hot sunshine all day long, thank you very much. :Sun:

JimmyR
Perch

Post by JimmyR »

I know this is an old post but Haydn, have you fished the Ouse at Bromham, i have had some lovely Chub, and although i know they are there i have not had a Barbel.
Great Photos by the way mate.

Jim
The brotherhood of the angle.

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

is this at the back of linford pits/Newport pagnell
if it is I used to fish that in the 80's great stretch of river

I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

Many... many a blank at Adams Mill at the turn of this century.
Best barbel 12ozs best chub 6:12. I would still fish the river if I lived closer!
Must go for a visit.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A club I belonged to had a stretch at Passenham. Another currently has a bit at Tyringham. Both lovely looking but for me a nightmare to catch much!

Hugo Curgudgeon

Post by Hugo Curgudgeon »

Wonderful photographs of the beautiful Great Ouse.

Thank you!

Regards,

Hugo

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I took a stroll along the Ouse at the weekend at Kempston Haydn. I will be moving to within five miles soon. Maybe see you on the bank.

Return to “River Ouse”