Mill pool Broxbourne

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Mill pool Broxbourne

Post by Tench Dreamer »

On Friday I had 4 hours to fish . It had to be river. I had to pick somewhere that would be somewhere I knew.i picked the above.

Low water level and no evidence of any angling pressure .

Its full of weed

Trotted a float for a few hours ....all small stuff. Perch/roach and a couple of Gonks .

Enjoyed it a lot

GazTheAngler

Re: Mill pool Broxbourne

Post by GazTheAngler »

Ullo mate,

Glad you had a good day. I'm thinking of getting on the Broxbourne stretch at the start of November.

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

I like visiting this place for a few hours at a time too. The first swim below the outfall on the car park side - the other side is too shallow, at least in the summer. It all looks very good, but all I've had out of it are small perch and roach and the odd gudge (nice to catch one at all these days).

It looks as though it could contain some nice chub, but despite some tries with sweetcorn or spam, not even a knock. I've only fished it in the summer, so it might benefit when it's got a bit more water coming through.

Any suggestions would be most welcome
Last edited by Corneybury on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

I used to fish that spot over 40 years ago, used to catch some cracking perch back then.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

The beaulty of it is that you never know what will be in there,because it comes of the lea,got to say,its not my cup of tea,to many people about,wonder if any of you might have bumped into Clive when you were over there.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I live in Stanstead Abbotts, within 50ft of the Lea towpath, and 150 yds of "The Jolly Fisherman" if any TFF member would like to chat about all traditional angling matters,I will buy you a pint as I know the manager! PM me for details!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

I've moved out of the valley now,shame,i might have had one or two with you,I worked at David Websters in the village for 20 years,wonder if you might know Bernie when I left he was still in the village

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I don't know of a Bernie in the village, but I will be having a Sunday roast in the Jolly Fisherman tomorrow! Cheers!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Maybe last outing of the year? Sunny afternoon saw me in the first swim by the car park, as the only one that is really fishable, as the one next to it has a shopping trolley right in front of it, and the ones on the other side are too shallow, and need a clear out.

Started off trotting with a waggler and two maggots, caught a load of 2" chub, changed to fishing over depth and laying on with three maggots, just off the main flow, and caught 10 perch of increasing size upto 3/4lb, which is the biggest fish I've had out of here to date. These were interspersed with some fairly meaty gudgeon, a couple of roach and a minnow (which I tried as livebait for bigger perch, but no luck), so a fairly successful afternoon. Funnily, as soon as the sun went down, the temperature dropped like a stone and the bites immediately ceased. Would like to try with a worm to see if this would tempt something larger. Will have to wait until June now to test this theory.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Delightful venue . Nice to hear the float dipped there for you ... Had me PB Gonk out of that pool :Hat:

Return to “River Lea”