Dobbs Weir

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Re: Dobbs Weir

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Tizer wrote:In the early years it was just fishing pressure that made the fishing harder,then people would fish outside the valley and in a few years it would be back to normal and the first people back would reap the rewards.happy days,then the cycle would start again,thats how it was forever.Then the cormarants came big time(for as long as I can remember there were cormarants in the valley,but not in the numbers there are now)They ate everything under 2lb,it was just starting to bounch back and the worst predator of all turned up.The eastern European.I have seen them on every bit of water that I have fished in the valley.Ihave found set lines everywhere,something that I never use to see 15+years ago.I was going to write a lot more but I would get banned.Anyway then the crayfish came ,I think they started up by fields weir and now they are every where.Nazing meads and the relief channel were particularly bad.There are some monster chub and barbel in the Kings weir river,but they are just a few fish getting caught time and time again.There are monster perch in the lea up by Stansted Abbotts, This is prob the longest letter I have ever written,I loved the valley and that is why it hurts so much. As I said I have moved now and I have got a new play ground,I have got so much exploring to do,happy days.
Sorry to bring back the pain of seeing something you love in such decline. I know the area between Dobbs weir and Broxbourne. Wormley area . It's been cleaned up and looks lovely ....but there are few fish in there me thinks

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

That was my playground,i lived in Cheshunt,If its of any interest to you ,you could join Hertford A.S for 40 quid,you get Turnford consortium and the Fishers green consortium as well.Turnford is 4 small pits and Fishers green has hooks marsh,70 acre and half of the top lake(landridge lake),the relief channel and the old Waverley(where all the barbell and chub are coming from).there has been some big chub and carp out of the lea in the area you mention,It all depends on how much time you have got.If you are fishing on that part of the river you must have come across all of the obsticles that I mentioned and one that I didn't,THE ROWERS.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Don't Hertford have a bit of the Beane, as well?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Not sure ,I think Abbey Cross A/S ,have some of the beane or the rib,last I heard rumours that Ware A/S and Hertford might take on part of the river lea,that can only be a good thing . Abbey Cross is prob the best club to join ,the only reason I never joined was because you would have to sit before the committee and answer a few questions,Not for me.

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Thought I'd have a go at Dobbs Weir this week, having litter picked it for the Canal and River Trust the week before and thought it looked very inviting. Thursday afternoon just gone saw me at the tail of the weirpool down towards the road bridge. The pool was very busy with at least another half dozen piscators in residence. I tried float fished maggot which produced 4 smallish perch of varying sizes and one very small roach. A switch to sweetcorn trying to tempt something bigger connected me to a very angry crayfish, which got dispatched and sent into the bushes. How do you avoid these pests?

Talking to others there indicated that someone had caught an 11lb barbel earlier in the day, fishing the bit between the Lea Navigation and where the water spills into the main weirpool. Perhaps the current is too strong for crayfish there.

And the litter? It was filthy- as if I'd never picked it two weeks earlier. Why can't people take their rubbish home?

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Well said, Tench dreamer...
My experiences would echo yours.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Corneybury,if you cross the road by the traffic lights(if they are still there)there is a bit that not to many know is there,it is like an island,about 6 swims I think,you have the lea and car park behind you and you will be looking towards the camp site and the river from the weir runs past there and joins back onto the lea,When I first found it I after all the years I had lived in the valley I could not wait to fish it,happy days....or so I thought,had two trips over there,caught crayfish and EE,S,never went back.....maybe worth a look now.

Return to “River Lea”