Swan and Pike pool, Enfield Lock

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Re: Swan and Pike pool, Enfield Lock

Post by Shed_Monkey »

I remember fishing this as a kid in the early 80's - the name of the place alone was enough to make it exciting (maybe I watched too much James Bond but I imagined it to be seething with hungry pike).
Thrashing away with my shiny Mepps I recall conflicting feelings of fear at what I might catch (tales of huge legendary pike were rife) combined with a sort of nervous expectation at every cast.
I never did catch a pike there but do remember landing some very nice perch. Seeing it in the photo's brought back that childhood feeling of anticipation and nervousness.

Well done to all involved in the clean up - what a great job!

Cheers
Steve

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

We (Lee Valley Park and CRT) continue to clean it more than once a year. The place, for some reason is a litter magnet, which is a shame, because it's a beautiful spot. Why are people so disgusting? We are the only species that fouls its own environment.

The pool itself is fairly shallow up the far end, due to silt build-up. It connects to the flood relief channel via a sluice gate. It would be nice if this could be opened from time to time to flush the pool.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Hi mate,

You've done an absolute fantastic job in the cleaning up of the pool, well done to you and yer crew :Hat:

Incidentally I'd say that if this pool is actually on the navigation it was possibly designed as a turning pool for the narrow boats,

Similar to what is at Cheshunt on the canal :Thumb:

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

I love this river and this area , running upstream around Enfield lock to Ramey Marsh is a very nice stretch indeed . Very natural / peace and quiet .... Fish ? Who knows ... I had a whopper PB Eel in 2015 , as long as my right arm . Last summer there were local serious local Enfield anglers fishing ... That was nice in its own right

Return to “River Lea”