Change in the River Lea

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Change in the River Lea

Post by Tengisgol »

We probably did some working parties together Stuart, I was a bailiff on Kings Weir for a few years during the eighties and nineties before I got drawn to the Avon and then over to the Wye.

Just noticed Tizer's post from Xmas (sorry Tizer). Yes, I knew the Kirby's. I have a photo here of an eleven pound bream that Alan caught one night when we were fishing at the 'Waterhole'. I will try and find it today.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Tengisgol wrote:We probably did some working parties together Stuart, I was a bailiff on Kings Weir for a few years during the eighties and nineties before I got drawn to the Avon and then over to the Wye.

Just noticed Tizer's post from Xmas (sorry Tizer). Yes, I knew the Kirby's. I have a photo here of an eleven pound bream that Alan caught one night when we were fishing at the 'Waterhole'. I will try and find it today.
Funny you say that mate, I was thinking along the same lines, no doubt I probably do know you, used to fish there a lot but the last few seasons I've not been up there as much,

I can well remember old bill Newton, bless him, used to be in his CB radio shed all the time talking about bygone days :Hat:

I believe barbera is still ok and soildering on as usual,

I tend to be fishing more of the small Kentish rivers around me home county these days :Thumb:

Stuart

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Tengisgol wrote:We probably did some working parties together Stuart, I was a bailiff on Kings Weir for a few years during the eighties and nineties before I got drawn to the Avon and then over to the Wye.

Yes they did like their bream fishing,and unless I am wrong they didn't like carp,Think they had to leave the waterhole under a cloud. :whistle:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Tizer wrote:

Yes they did like their bream fishing,and unless I am wrong they didn't like carp,Think they had to leave the waterhole under a cloud. :whistle:
Respect :Hat:

Stuart

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Tizer wrote:

Caught on a swim feeder made out of a vacuum tube!

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Tengisgol wrote:
Tizer wrote:

Caught on a swim feeder made out of a vacuum tube!

Nice bream mate,

Apologies but I don't know your name, if that is yourself in the pic I'm sure I can vaigly remember you :Hat:

Probably even spoke and had a chat on the river bank :Thumb:

All the best fella

Stuart
Last edited by Stuart Whiting on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Stuart, no that's not me. It's a chap called Alan Kirby who fished up and down the Lea valley back in the day. He was mentioned in Tizer's post on the basis of, 'did you know the Kirby's?' And I remembered photographing this bream for one of the brothers when they were fishing a lake called 'the Waterhole' (original eh, but lovely bream fishing before the club stocked the carp). They were interesting characters!

(PS - I'm Phil Humm)

sorry, we seem to have gone off thread again!

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Tengisgol wrote:Stuart, no that's not me. It's a chap called Alan Kirby who fished up and down the Lea valley back in the day. He was mentioned in Tizer's post on the basis of, 'did you know the Kirby's?' And I remembered photographing this bream for one of the brothers when they were fishing a lake called 'the Waterhole' (original eh, but lovely bream fishing before the club stocked the carp). They were interesting characters!

(PS - I'm Phil Humm)

Arh yes your name certainly rings a bell :Thumb:

This is a recent shot of me and me mate Euan from Nottingham a few weeks ago at the Big one show, I'm pictured on the left hand side of the pic,

Also a couple of maps of the Lea in the early years :Thumb:

Image Image

All the best

Stuart

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Hi phill,

Thought I'd carry on from a few months back, are you still currently fishing on the Lea or have you now moved onto new waters,

I've not been fishing for a while through various family and health issues but am now planning to come back to me beloved river Lea up around the Fishers green, Hertford and Harpenden areas :Thumb:

This river always seems to draw me back, there's just something special about it as it holds so much angling history aswell as big roach and chub :Wink:

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Tengisgol wrote:Stuart, no that's not me. It's a chap called Alan Kirby who fished up and down the Lea valley back in the day. He was mentioned in Tizer's post on the basis of, 'did you know the Kirby's?' And I remembered photographing this bream for one of the brothers when they were fishing a lake called 'the Waterhole' (original eh, but lovely bream fishing before the club stocked the carp). They were interesting characters!

(PS - I'm Phil Humm)

Dont seem to remember seeing any pics of the other kirby brother holding any fish,funny that seeing as they always fished together. :Confused:

Return to “River Lea”