Illegal Dumping Kings Weir.

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Stuart Whiting

Re: Illegal Dumping Kings Weir.

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Das-Bolt wrote:While walking my dog yesterday morning (20th October 2016) along the towpath opposite The Kings Weir I noticed a Blue Transit type van with writing on the side which included the word 'BUILDERS' illegally dumping building rubble in the road just by the bridge. They quickly drove off when they spotted me. The incident was reported to The Lea Valley Park Authority on 03 000 030 610.
Submitted for information only.
Good on yer mate, glad you phoned the Lea valley Authorities and informed them of the incident :Hat:

I've fished kings weir now for about 28 years on and off and is not the first time I've seen this activity by the canal,

All we can do is try to be on the ball and try to keep on top of this horrendous rubbish tipping

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Something weird has happened here chaps....I'm being quoted using the words Harry actually wrote....????
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

RBTraditional wrote:Something weird has happened here chaps....I'm being quoted using the words Harry actually wrote....????
OOPS ... my fault ... I quoted from your entry RBT, Sir ... but deleted the wrong brackets. Many apologies. :Scared:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Not a problem AC....at first I thought I'd had more than just the usual two pnts on a Friday lunch!... :Chuckle:

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Well done sir :Hat:
They make the effort to drive out to the countryside or secluded area but can't quite manage the waste site, probably still charged the customer for disposal though. :Angry:
Something we can all do is if we do have someone take our rubbish is ask to see their waste carriers licence.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Harry wrote:
AshbyCut wrote:
Harry wrote:
RBTraditional wrote:Sadly, I think that the government are partially to blame, as cutting the amount of civic amenities where this sort of rubbish can be legally left, have disappeared in the last few years, leaving people looking for places to get rid of rubbish.
Not only places, Sir ... but the charge for taking things to the tip are increasing everywhere. For example, the Hertfordshire County Council (wherein lies King's Weir) website currently lists a charge £67.20p for a 'small van load' of 'construction and demolition waste,' and £99.60p for a 'medium van' (presumable a Transit type falls into the latter category).

I've seen on one site that the charges are to 'help cover the costs of cleaning up after fly tipping,' though I'd suggest that it's a downward spiral as the higher the charge ... the more fly tipping there will be. :Brickwall:
My local civic amenity (2 miles away) was shut down a couple of years ago, (the site is still locked up and fenced off and could be reinstated with a few skips and a chap to oversee it in an hour flat...) now I have an 18 mile round trip to my nearest recycling centre... frankly I have to wonder at the level of competence in local government
Them people would dump the rubbish anyway,just because they can,nothing to do with how much it costs,they probaly make more money out of it now because they tell the customer they would have to pay to dump it.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

The government certainly make life difficult for businesses to handle waste correctly . I have to register via quite a detailed administrative process for a licence to carry trade waste (£250) which is renewable bi-annually. I also have to pay each time I use the recycling site (£60 to £120) depending upon the load. Although as an angler I detest fly tipping and rubbish in general I do wish the burden on business owners would be made less restrictive.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

It wasn't our Government who made the process of handling waste such a nightmare. ...yes you guessed it "EU Waste Framework Directive 2008".....

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Harry H wrote:Well done sir :Hat:
They make the effort to drive out to the countryside or secluded area but can't quite manage the waste site, probably still charged the customer for disposal though. :Angry:
Something we can all do is if we do have someone take our rubbish is ask to see their waste carriers licence.
Of coarse it could have something to do with the Pikey site a couple of hundred yards from Kings Weir. "Just saying" :Wink:

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

[quote="AllRounder"]The government certainly make life difficult for businesses to handle waste correctly . I have to register via quite a detailed administrative process for a licence to carry trade waste (£250) which is renewable bi-annually. I also have to pay each time I use the recycling site (£60 to £120) depending upon the load. Although as an angler I detest fly tipping and rubbish in general I do wish the burden on business owners would be made less restrictive.[/quote

I'd check the cost of that as it's actually in the region of £150 for 3 years via the official body (EA). Many websites charge an admin fee for the use of thier website and make a great deal of money doing it.

The onus here is on all to make sure waste is properly dealt with. Many people think they've got a bargin when they get a load taken for £30. Is this is dumped and traced back to you, you are liable as it your responsibility to make sure it goes to an authorised site.

What we should be trying to achieve is actually creating less waste in the first place.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Return to “River Lea”