Abbey gardens cornmill stream

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Corneybury
Dace

Re: Abbey gardens cornmill stream

Post by Corneybury »

Downstream from the Hooks Marsh car park. There again yesterday- no luck legering with a prawn, but lots of small chub, roach and some nice little perch on floated mags. Rain stopped play

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for this. I'm in the Fishers Green Consortium, so I can fish the from Fishers Green Lane southwards for a 200 hundred yards. I've not visited that stretch this year but, for the last 2 seasons, wire fences meant I failed to find an access point! Maybe I need to head south to the stretch you are referring to and then head north.

You have been a great help. Many thanks sir.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

It's on the Waltham Abbey-Nazeing road, on the left, signposted Hooks Marsh

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

"""THE CORNMILL STREAM
Around 200 yards from its start at the end of Fishers Green Lane fairly overgrown but ideal for a short rod and a small bomb or float for the roving angler, no large specimens recorded but fun for those that like this type of angling - Roach, Chub and Dace with the odd Barbel.
The Stream is open 16th June till 14th March inclusive.
The fishing times permitted are the same as the main River Lea."""

From the Consortium's Website

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Duckett's Canal wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:07 pm Well done on the catch Corneybury. I'm a member of Hollow AC, who are affiliated to Waltham Abbey Angling Consortium, so I fish the Old Lee in the Cornmill/Dragonfly Meadows. I can fish the Cornmill Stream from where it splits from the Old Lee down to Harold Bridge but, aside from the stretch between the Abbey View dual carriageway and Harold Bridge, it's shallow, weed chocked and unfishable most of the year in my experience. Though I have had jacks and some nice perch spinning in the winter.

The reason for my post is that I'm having no luck at all locating what is called the Waltons Walk stretch. I might be interested in handing over my cash for a chance to wet a line somewhere new and wondered if you could give me a better idea where the stretch is?

Thanks in advance :Hat:
As I mentioned earlier the Royal Small Arms Club,(if they are still about,they was about 5 years ago)They have a stretch of the relief from the Abbey,by Macdonalds going towards Enfield,there are 2 sluices and 3 parts of the same water,one is slow and deep then the next bit is shallower and faster and the last bit is shallow,not more than 18" at times.They have a clubhouse right where you park the car,it was £40 last time I had a ticket,well worth a look

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Tizer, my club had a deal with the Small Arms Club that allowed us to fish that stretch. There was some good fishing to be had in parts of it. Sadly, they folded last year. I believe Hollow AS tried to obtain the rights to fish it but the water authority (not the Lee Valley Park authority) have refused to grant anyone the fishing - apparently they want to keep the banks clear for works in the Flood Relief Channel. As the Fishers Green Consortium has the rights to the very top of the Channel, that makes very little sense to any of us.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

What a shame,If I had not moved that would be one of the tickets I would have kept,don't remember catching anything there,but most of the time I was the only one there,happy days

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:surrender:

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Not sure if I answered this or not. You go along the Nazeing Road from Waltham Abbey, and go down Fishers Green Lane which is on the left about 2 miles from WA. Park in the car park at the end of the lane and walk through the steel gates. Walton’s Walk Fishery is by the car park and through the gates. There is a weir about 1 mike down which is supposed to have nice barbel in it although I have yet to contact one. Good luck!

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Mile

Return to “River Lea”